We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

Married newly retired couple might rent a condo in Englewood. We have no car. We jog, love beaches and enjoy a cool beer on a hot day. Is this a good spot?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,938 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

In my opinion, this is the Last place you should consider if you don't have a car. For a start, it is on the mainland and you can't get to a beach w/o driving.

Places suitable for non drivers on the gulf coast are Clearwater beach, St Pete Beach, Anna Maria Islandl Fort Myers Beach. Siesta Key can be good, if you choose where you stay with care, and Sanibel too if you don't mind using a bike to get around.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

Isn't there a bus system that goes to the beach?

Level Contributor
234 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

There are condos near Englewood Beach and there are some restaurants and stores in that area. Siesta Key is also a beautiful spot but the stores and restaurants are not as close together and confined as Englewood Beach.

Always looking south
Level Contributor
63 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

If you have to be in this area, and don't have a car, then something like this might fit your preferences.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34206-d75071-R…

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

Not Englewood Beaxh, no. This is a fairly small town still.

6. Re: Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 17:35
Fort Walton Beach...
Level Contributor
48 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

Ah, no. I know you already had some answers, but Englewood is not a good town if you have no car. The beaches are nice, but there is nothing but a jr. food store on Manasota Key (Englewood Beach) for groceries, which would be rather high and limited. There are only a few restaurants on Manasota Key. And a few T-shirt type shops there as well. I never saw a bus, ever, while I was there. I think on comes down from the Sarasota area, but does not come to the beach area, and not even to lower Englewood. You would not even be able to drive a golf cart around. You would be obstructing traffic getting across the bridge to the Beach. However, if you want to bike, you could do that. Depending on how far up the beach you lived. You could bike across to go to drug stores, grocery stores, etc... but if you had large purchases, you would have to find a way to get it back. Also during Spring and summer, you might have a rainy season with lightening. Not good if you get caught in it. Scooters might be another answer, but some parts of the main road during the winter months can be rather congested and dangerous.

Someone else mentioned Gasparilla Island. It is a nice place. Probably more expensive than Englewood. They do have a small grocery store, but I would venture to guess that most residents drive to Englewood Publix for groceries because they are cheaper. The review stated that he came over by boat and rode his golf cart, but I am not sure where. There are a few restaurants right on the mainland, and a marina, but no other stores that I am aware of.

I am seeing people giving you a lot of suggestions. One other I will point out is Venice. Which is right above Englewood (well about 20 minutes above). One of the things that I noticed was that a good portion of downtown to the beach area seemed very bike friendly. So it may be easier to get around.

However, I think if you want to live in Fl, on the beach without a car, I think you will have to do a lot of research. I lived in Tampa area to Englewood for some time. The bus systems basically suck in my opinion. They are usually pretty limited as to where they run. You might get very lucky and find a place where the bus system picks you up within a block of your home and drops you off in some of the main areas of town whether for shopping or for fun. But that may take some time, or a good realtor to find. Here is your next consideration. Florida is a great place to be. There is a lot to see and do, but you may have to take a car to see it. The Englewood area is nice, and probably cheaper than above or below it. But Englewood is also extremely slow. My landlord in Englewood was a retiree. He loved it there, but his activity while there was antiquing. Since there are so many second hand shops there. All the other things he did, he drove 30 minutes or more to get there to do it. While I certainly can't tell you to get a car, I just have wondered if you have lived in cities where they had great bus systems where you could go almost anywhere. Florida is just not that way. If you do find a bus system, I think you may be limited to where you can go by bus. And as much as I hate to say it, much more expensive towns, like Miami, might offer a better bus system or condos within walking distance of town. Key West is terribly pricey, but many people only have scooters to get around on, and it is quite manageable. And if anyone was to get sick, you have to be able to get to a doctor or the hospital without waiting at a bus stop.

Anna Maria Island and Siesta Key are very nice Beach towns and might have better bus systems than Englewood. I am not sure how much time you have spent down here, but you may want to come down and rent a car and drive around the areas from Anna Maria Island down to the Ft. Myers area. See what areas have grocery stores close by, or bus systems from the neighborhood. Otherwise, unless you have family in the area who are willing to drive you if needed, I really worry about retirees coming to Fl without a car. So good luck in your search. I wish you the best. Your search may not be impossible to find, just may take more time to find than you anticipated.

8. Re: Need advice.....Might rent a condo in Englewood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Englewood