We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Temperature in January

Which Englewood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tacoma, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Water Temperature in January

I plan to visit the Englewood area in January and was wondering if the gulf water is warm enough to swim? I've heard that it can be a bit cold. Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,977 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Temperature in January

not for me. In fact, it is sometimes too cold for me late march/early April lol.

It depends on the mean temps you are comfortable with (which will depend on where you are from) and what you are used to. It also varies from year to year, as colder winters mean colder temps. I'd say it will be in the 60s could be low 60s. and in summer is in the mid 80s.

Get a place with a heated pool and you will be fine.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Temperature in January

This highly incomplete table at least has St. Petersburg and Naples. Englewood will be more like Naples.

https:/…coastal_water_temps.html

I think a temperature above 70 on a warm day would seem OK. Admittedly, Atlantic coast surfers may still be wearing wetsuits or at least neoprene jackets at those temperatures.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,977 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Temperature in January

I think it will be midway at best, or more like st pete. Water warms up once you are south of the rivers at PG and Ft M.

And water temps at 70 are NEVER OK to me. Gotta be nearer to 80. Air temps at 70 are fine.

Marshfield...
Level Contributor
86 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Temperature in January

If you're from Washington, I think you'd find the temps in Florida waters just fine and dandy in January. I've gone swimming there in the Winter and although not many are in the water, it felt great to us. Refreshing is the word I use. Gotta laugh though, as we were coming out, a "native" asked us where "up north" we came from. Guess those more used to Florida temps do find it a little too chilly.

5. Re: Water Temperature in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Englewood