We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

river wilderness resort

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
river wilderness resort

We are thinking about staying at River Wilderness Resort and were wonder how the accommodations are? Has anyone stayed here recently? I haven't been able to find any reviews.

Ashbourne, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: river wilderness resort

We stayed at River Wilderness a few nights ago. I was there with my husband and son (7 yrs) and my parents and we stayed for 2 nights. We had a 2 bedroomed accomodation, number 14 (the last in the row).

On approach to this accomodation, it looks great. It's right on the water, on stilts and is right in the centre of town. However, it is rather shabby. It was very musty and felt as if it hadn't been lived in for years until I saw to dried baked bean under the work units. The aircon, although was very efficient, was very noisy and the vents for then expell onto the (screened) deck so it's extremely hot to sit out there. There were many 'unkown' stains on the carpets and the furniture was old and worn. Our double bed sank in the middle so within 5 minutes of going to bed we were laying face to face having rolled together. The linen was clean enough and the bathrooms OK. The whole place just needs a really good clean and some new furniture.

The deck is screened but when you sit down on the chairs, the cross beam of the screen completely blocks your view of the lake!

The pool which is advertised is not actually on the property. It's a 5 min walk past the 'Seafood Depot' (resturant) to get to it. It's shared with another hotel there. There are no pool towels and there are no extra in the units so you either have to ask for more (when the proprietor is actually in the offfice) or take your own. The pool itself is fine but ther is no shade.

Our unit was the end one right next to 'Captain Dougs Airboat tours'. They start getting their airboats ready at 7.30 and are VERY loud. We did a tour with them though and it was brilliant. we also went on the National Park tour boat into the Everglades Park and I can recomend that too. Take LOADS of sunscreen and don't sit at the front. You will get VERY wet!

Have you ever been to everglades city before? It's VERY quiet. All the resturants close at 9! There are approx 3 resturants, a museum, a playground, approx 3 gift shops, a small supermarket and LOADS of airboat tours. I would strongly recomend the Oyester House resturant opposite the Everglades national Park. Try thier stone crab. It was wonderful. For great coffee or a light meal, head for the very friendly and vibrant Havana Cafe accross the Chokoloskee Causeway open until 4 I think. There is a home made icecream place in the city too. I can't remember the name but it's well worth a visit.

I wouldn't recommend this accomodation for more than a few nights as long as you've got lots planned and only intent to sleep there (if you can over the noisy aircon). If I was going again, I would deffinately go to everglades city and do the airboats etc but I would probably stay somewhere like Marco Island. It's not far and you get a much better standard of accomodation.

Good luck and i hope this has been of some help. If I can answer any more questions, let me know.

Ashbourne, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: river wilderness resort

Just had another thought. The Oyster house resurant does accomodation I think. There were more of them and looked in better condition. I didn't actually go in them so I can't really tell you any more. Check out their web site http://www.oysterhouserestaurant.com

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: river wilderness resort

Thank you for writing a review, it is very helpful. We will probably drive down for the day and spend the night in Naples or Sarasota. We travel with a small dog, The Wilderness Resort does accept small pets. I think we both will have trouble with the mustiness. Probably from all the hurricanes that hit that area. But thank you very much again.

FL
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: river wilderness resort

Yes. I just returned today form a lovely stay there.

Great water views. Canoes free of charge. Free put in and take out if you bring yours. It is a wonderful spot and we can not wait to return.

They do however advertise free cont. breakfast which does NOT exist.

The access to the back country kayak trails is outstanding. Make reservations, as of today they were sold out.

It was/is a time share as well.

Florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: river wilderness resort

I have a vacation rental in Everglades City on the island. It is listed on this site. It is brand new, very clean. It has granite throughout, wood floors two bedrooms. There is a clubhouse with a heated pool. There is a preserved view and it sleeps up to six people. Central Air throughout. Washer, dryer, dishwasher. If you are interested call me at 239-877-3638. You can view it at vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/23504.h…

6. Re: river wilderness resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Everglades City