We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Airboat Tour is best?

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which Airboat Tour is best?

We will be in Everglade City early May. Plan on doing an Airboat tour, but not sure which one is best. I have 3 to choose from: Everglades Airboat Tours, Speedy Johnson's Airboat Tours and Captain Doug's. Which one do you think is best? Probably can't go wrong whichever one I choose, but it's always nice to get input.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

All 3 are listed as members of EC chamber of commerce so I reckon you can't go wrong.

Consider another type of boat tour as well since the Airboats,whilst exhillerating, scare away most wildlife.

The chamber website has lots of contact info.

www.evergladeschamber.net

Copeland, FL
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

Don't leave out Wootens from your choice list. They are about 5 miles north and east of EC. I have used "Captain Jungle Erv's" Airboat Tours and was not pleased.

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

MakinSmoke, thanks. I wasn't aware of Wootens. I'll check them out.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

Who did you use? Any reason for picking them?

What did you see? What worked and didn't work?

I have been on 1 company airboat ride and it was good.

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

MarcoRed, we went on Speedy Johnson's. It was OK, but not great. The Airboat Captain was good, we just weren't impressed with the terrain. We had a $5 off coupon, but it still cost $79 and change for two of us.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

I did the mangrove ten thousand island tour with Captain Dougs ... they did a great job ... but all my life I wanted to go through swamp grass ... now in my mind .... THATS THE EVERGLADES.

Mind vs Reality ... sounds like a book.

Did you go through swamp grass or mangroves or both?

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

I forgot to comment on the coupon ... I have to chuckle ... there was some snafu with our coupon ... like it could only be used 1 coupon or something. I don't remember.

I do remember the coupon discount was peanuts to the price of the air boat ride.

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

MarcoRed, we went thru the Mangroves and some open areas; nothing special.

We went on an airboat trip out of Houma, LA some years back that was wonderful. We got out and checked out some aligator nests and all kinds of things. The guy was Cajun and a lot of fun and the area we went thru was great. I guess we were expecting that type of thing, so the Everglades airboat disappointed us.

We were going to take the NPS Mangrove tour, but figured it would be same thing except in a slower boat, so we didn't. It might actually been better, because you would have seen more wildlife.

We did take the tram tour from Shark Valley that was great.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

I have not done the NPS boat trip but I have seen on this board and others .... good things about it.

So I have it on my list of activities for my next visit.

Captain Doug's was a good trip, they showed off the 10,000 islands and a little of EC history. The boat captain did good. We gave him a tip. I'm glad I took it.

However if a person goes into an activity with a certain expectations ... then you may question how good the trip was .... even if it was an awesome trip for everyone else.

Expectations ... inpact your trip.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Airboat Tour is best?

Dewsberry recommends that you look at

www.evergladeschamber.net

Great suggestion, from memory it lists 8 tour boat companies.

Do you want to see aligators, mangroves or swamp grass? Look at the write ups to match what you want to see.

I recommend a airboat company that does more than the 10,000 islands UNLESS you haven't done a barrier island tour.

Get answers to your questions about Everglades City