We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

Glasgow
Level Contributor
793 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

Hi All, we are planning a trip staying 3 nights in Orlando, 3 nights at Florida Keys then 6 nights on the Gulf coast. Last year we had a hire car for one day to go from Orlando to Miami and we paid the extra for the Sunpass to save stopping at tolls. For the 2012 trip we will have a hire car for the whole 2 weeks but as only two of the days will involve the long drives where I think we may need Sunpass what do you recommend? I don’t see the point in paying a daily Sunpass rate for the sake of two days but I can’t see the hire company letting us only book it for two days when we have the car 2 weeks, I dont think the daily rate was all that cheap to warrant taking it for 2 weeks to need it two days. We’ll also be picking the car up at Orlando airport and returning it to Tampa airport. Any idea folks? Is it essential or can we just pay the tolls as we get to them or are some Sunpass only? Thanks. (crikey an Orlando holiday only was soooo much easier than this multi location idea).

8 replies to this topic
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

You can buy a sunpass for cash at Publix Supermarket, CVS pharmacies throughout Florida.

Check www.sunpass.com for more info.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
793 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

Thanks, should have checked the sunpass website first I suppose. I notice the hire company is $36.99 per week, thats total about £50 in my money, its not too bad on the grand scale of things. I think that covers all the toll charges too. Unless I can select the flat fee of $6.99 for the two days I think I would need it for which would be a better option. time to add £50 to the holiday budget.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,413 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

Not sure why you are posting on the Fellsmere forum. You should post any Florida travel question either on the Florida forum or the Orlando or Miami forum since those are the cities you will be visiting. Fellsmere is a very small town about near the east coast about 1 1/2 hours from Orlando.

Sun pass offers a mini pass transponder that is cheaper and I think only good up to a certain amount. Look on the Orlando forum for info on sunpass. There has been lots of posts about it.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
793 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

Crikey, sorry I pu the question in the wrong place, sorry, will have a look on the orlando forum, it was more of a general florida state question as we'll be all over this year not just based in Orlando.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,413 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

Not a problem, just wanted to let you know so you could get the right answers. Lots of people just pick a city in Florida not realizing where it is located. Have a look at www.mapquest.com to see a layout of Florida and distance between cities, etc.

Summerfield, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

You can always pay the tolls. I would forgo the pass and pay as you go. Just make sure you have money at all times.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

There actually is no cash option available for paying tolls on the Turnpike from Miami south to Florida City enroute to the Keys, so the OP needs a Sunpass for that stretch, which at the moment I think is the only part of the Turnpike in the state with no possibility of paying cash. A I understand it , if he does not have a Sunpass for that stretch, every time he goes through one of the toll areas ( they are overhead not gated, so you often don't notice them,) a photo of the tag will be taken and the rental company will receive a bill as the car is registered to them. They will then pass the cost on to the renter and often add a substantial "handling " charge, so it could get pricey. So, I would strongly urge buying a mini Sun Pass at Publix or CVS ( I think they sell them in the Turnpike rest stops further north too, but I'm not sure if they sell the mini). You will need to pay by Sunpass for the part south of Miami into Florida Citywhere you get on US 1 to the Keys.- there is no cash option. possible. .

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long drive & Sunpass - stuck

As a full-time Florida resident, I find Sunpass extremely tourist unfriendly in a state that relies heavily on tourism. That said, it is true that cash tolls have been eliminated on the Florida Turnpike in South Florida. There are, however, some roads where cash tolls have not been eliminated, including the road from the Miami airport to I-95, Miami and Miami Beach. Recently, I accidentally went sailing through the Sunpass lane on the road from the airport in a rental car. As I recall, the surcharge from the rental company was not particularly costly, given the alternative: $100 for toll evasion. My suggestion is to avoid the turnpike altogether and use I-95 being careful to avoid the Sunpass express lanes in Miami-Dade County. There are always alternatives that don't involve tolls and if you're a tourist, as an added bonus, you'll see parts of Florida that you definitely wouldn't see from the turnpike.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 01:21
Reply to: Long drive & Sunpass - stuck
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fellsmere
Recent Conversations