We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amelia Island Suggestions

Which Fernandina Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zion, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Amelia Island Suggestions

My husband and I are traveling to Jacksonville and picking up our 4 teenaged grandchildren(2 boys and 2 girls) for a getaway to Ameilia Island for 4 days between Christmas and New Years. Never been there, just heard it was worlds away from the "Mouse" in Orlando and we just cannot do one more trip to Disney. Not sure if the Ritz Carlton or the Amelia Island Plantation is what we are looking for to amuse 4 teenagers and my husband and I who like to golf. We want to find some educational outings to take the kids on, or just fun things to do that families rarely get to do together. We decided to forgo giving presents for Christmas this year; instead, we want to make it a memorable vacation because of the time we spend together and a special place or places to explore. We don't mind spending good money for such a vacation, but we do not want to get too pricey - there will be 6 of us. Any suggestions from locals or anyone who has had a positive experience at Ameilia Island will be greatly appreciated. Signed: Scottie Lover

Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amelia Island Suggestions

If money is not a problem, the RItz or Plantation is your best bet as they will be able to offer many activities on property as well as arrange for others elsewhere. Another option is to rent a house/condo on the beach apart from one of the resorts. As for activities, te Plantation has a Segway (personal transporter) Nature Tour that the kids would probably like. Golf is certainly plentiful and if any of the kids are interested there are classes/lessons, both golf and tennis, available. Off property, there are lots of interesting activities on the Island and its environs. Ft. Clinch State Park is on the north end of the Island. There's a great little museum in Fernandina that covers the history of the Island and the area. Take a day and visit White Oak Plantation (African game preserve) about a 45-min drive from the Island. Horse back riding on the beach (wx permitting) is another option. JAX is only 45-min away if they feel the need for a mall experience while here. The JAX Zoo is also a good half day activity. Depending upon scheduling, the Gator Bowl is during that time, if football is your bent. If the wx cooperates (always a toss up that time of year), there are lots of other outdoor activities, like sailing, kayaking, fishing, etc. Bottom line, if the teenagers are expecting the usual spring break beach environment or the typical boardwalk/arcades, they'll be disappointed. However, if they're into a more mature/adult oriented vacation, the'll find plenty to do.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amelia Island Suggestions

It's a gorgeous place! I was there two Christmas vacations ago (05) as part of a roadtrip.

It can get cool (freezing) overnight there (it did two nights running) but the days were pleasant and the beach were amazing. I stayed at a B an B in the main town and walked everywhere. Did an afternoon horseback ride as well (you might consider it, kelly Seahorse Ranch, I think was the name).

For something a little different, you could head out to Okefenokee Swamp Park in nearby Norcross GA for a day out, then come back on the coast route and stop in Brunswick. The coastline in this part of FL looks more like the Low Country (SC, G) barrier islands than S. Florida and the forests are most all pine and such (no palms here unless they're planted!) You might also look at Cumberland Island as a daytrip (not sure what's on offer at that time of year, though, and might be pricey).

Enjoy your trip. I really liked seeing a different side to Florida (I ended up in Mobile via Apalachicola, from a starting point in Charleston). This Xmas, I am off to the opposite end (Key West).

Lima, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Amelia Island Suggestions

Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach is a wonderful vacation destination. I used to live there in the 1980's and was most recently there this past summer. The island has been grossly overdeveloped in my humble opinion compared to the natural beauty it held just a mere 20 years ago. Apparently the locals did not push for any type of land conservacy. I used to live in a condo on the plantation...it was beautiful and at that time I was a teenager and found plenty to do. Your grandchildren should have a great time. Ft. Clinch is a great day trip, you should eat at Brett's down at the docks...very nice restaurant with great fresh seafood. Downtown or historic Fernandina beach is nice as well. Lot's of info online regarding the island. Be prepared as I recall from living there - it's cold at Christmas time, definitely will need to have a coat.

acworth
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amelia Island Suggestions

I too will travel to the island with teenagers. What did your family enjoy doing? Did you find plenty of activities to keep them busy and happy? I hate to see sour faces. Destin,Fl is where we normally vacation, so I'm trying to assure the kids that this will be a different kind of fun.

Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Amelia Island Suggestions

Definitely different from Destin. Plan on lots of outdoor activities--no arcade, mall, etc. Eco-tours, beach activities, historical sites/Museum of History, boating/fishing all in abundance. Check out On the Water Adventures for a great backwater marsh tour of Cumberland Island, Capts Carol and Rich do a great job on this.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amelia Island Suggestions

I would definitely second Kittygal's suggestion of the Okefenokee Swamp. One of the most beutifula and interesting places in the country. Your a little off on the city though Kittygal, Norcross is a suburb of Atlanta. You must be thinking of Waycross, which is the northern entrance to the swamp. I would highly suggest the eastern entrance at Folkston though, for both geographical reasons (much closer to Amelia) and it's superior in pretty much every way, imho.

7. Re: Amelia Island Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 04:18