We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One timer

Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
One timer

The point that Radar is missing is that the one timer comment refers to her only visiting one time, for 2 days. She obviously was looking for something more like Hilton Head which Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island prides itself on not being. She missed the charm of the historic district, the beautiful tree-lined drive of the South end and Hecksher, the uncrowded beaches and most of all- the friendly locals. The area has a mix of well-to-do retirees and golfers, nature lovers, shrimpers and fishermen, beach bums and surfers, young families and everything in between. We can't apologize that the mills are there to employe people and that yes, there are some businesses on 8th street (that she pointed out on her google link). That 1-2 mile strip employs a lot of people and provides a lot of services and actually is quite historic in itself. Find one 'old town' area that doesn't have a few places in need of repair. I don't think it's fair to put forth the idea that it's a dump. We can't all live in historic homes in the north end or mansions on the south end- some people had to build regular houses in the last 4 decades. This visitor is certainly entitled to her opinion but obviously most visitors feel the opposite and appreciate the charm of the area. I believe that her first impression as she drove over the bridge was the industrial looking mill and she didn't keep an open mind from that point on to see some of the other great features. She mentioned in her reply (which I think was actually worse than her original post) that she can't believe all the comments but her review pops right up so I hope that people can look past her comments and form their own opinion.

Edited: 06 November 2012, 20:30
1. Re: One timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2013, 10:16