We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fernandina Beach -- Is the Water Comfortable in late April

Nashua, New...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fernandina Beach -- Is the Water Comfortable in late April

My wife and I are contemplating taking several days in Fernandina Beach in the last week of April. Is the water comfortably swimable at this time or is it too early?

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fernandina Beach -- Is the Water Comfortable in late April

John,

Compared to the water temp in New England you might consider the ocean temps to be lukewarm! LOL Surf temps are likely to be in the high 60s or low 70s in late April. Current ocean temp is about 60o F. As an alternative, the City's main pool on Atlantic Ave has an outdoor heated pool with water temp about 82o. Not the ocean, but if it is warm water you are seeking, that is one option.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fernandina Beach -- Is the Water Comfortable in late April

is the water comfortable in mid-September?

Avon, OH
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fernandina Beach -- Is the Water Comfortable in late April

The water will be fabulous and warm. I would be interested in hearing what color commentary dlwinger, our mosted noted Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island expert, wants to describe the "love bug" situation in September :-) I can say that whenever I'm in Amelia it is paradise to me :-) but there is definitely love in the air in September :-)

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fernandina Beach -- Is the Water Comfortable in late April

Glite, ocean temp in mid-September should be quite comfortable in the low 80s. No snow in the forecast.

Grasshopper, yes, love is definately in the air during that time although the last couple of years it certainly has been less so (or maybe I've been in the right place at the right time). I have run into them (literally) more so when traveling on I-95 than right along the coast on A1A. The further south you go in FL, the more likely they seem to congregate. My worst experience over the years has been in the Orlando area. For those not familiar with the love bugs,they don't bite, but smush easily on your car. Be sure to get the car washed as their bodies are quite acidic and they can leave etch marks on your paint job if left for a prolonger time. Plus, the longer your wait, the harder they get to scrub off. If you hit an especially dense group, make sure your radiator has not been plastered with them to the point it impacts the airflow across the radiator and causes your car to run hot.

5. Re: Fernandina Beach -- Is the Water Comfortable in late April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Fernandina Beach