We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Lady Amelia

Which Fernandina Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgetown, ON
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
The Lady Amelia

Has anyone stayed at this Airbnb on Amelia island? We're looking at the listing online and it looks amazing. Would love to hear from anyone who has stayed there. Thanks.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
877 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Lady Amelia

I did a Google search for "Lady Amelia B&B" and found one in South Carolina. I am not aware of a B&B on Amelia Island that goes by this name. Better double check.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Lady Amelia

Looking at the Airbnb website, this appears to be a private home as there is no B&B by that name in Fernandina Beach or Amelia Island. Unfortunately, when I would try to click on the property to get more information on its location, the website would bomb out. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Georgetown, ON
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Lady Amelia

Apparently it's a new Airbnb listing. We'll post a review after we've been. Thanks for your help.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Lady Amelia

The house is located in the Olde Town section of Fernandina Beach which is the area where the Spanish located their first settlement. Ladies Street is a couple of blocks from the square and was the location of the "ladies" who "entertained" the soldiers garrisoned at the Fort. It is a quiet and charming area. Located at the corner of Estrada and White streets is the "Captains House". Originally built by one of the harbor captains, it was used for exterior and interior shots in the Adventures of Pippi Longstocking movie. I know the current owners and they have invested heavily in restoring the home's interior and exterior. Note the copper roofing on the top. I noted the property has kayaks for your use. Just down 14th street before you cross the elevated bridge there is a boat ramp that normally lets kayaks launch free of charge. You will be on Egan's Creek and you can paddle south through the various channels in the marsh. You will see a lot of wildlife and maybe even a gator (give them a wide berth). We will be looking forward to your post.

Georgetown, ON
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Lady Amelia

Thank you!! Great information. We're looking forward to our trip. Will post when we get back.

Elizabethton...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Lady Amelia

Did you make the trip? I'm going to be there in May!

Georgetown, ON
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Lady Amelia

We did. It's a lovely old home - quite large! We were there in mid March and, unfortunately, the grounds and front porch had not yet been cleaned up from the winter. Being from Canada and having suffered thru one of the worst winters ever, we were so looking forward to being able to spend some time outside, use the BBQ, use the shower, etc. But that was not available to us. We also had a couple of cleanliness issues - fairly minor. The one think you need to know is that there is a pulp and paper mill about a kilometer (less than a mile) from the house. The smell wasn't too bad, but it was definitely there as was the noise from the machinery - constant factor in the background. You need to be aware of this in case there is anyone in your group who has respiratory issues.

Fernandina Beach is a charming little town - not an easy walk as the paper mill is between the Lady Amelia and the downtown area. It was easier to get there by car or by bike. There's a great fish monger in the town where we purchased wonderful fresh fish two of the nights for our dinner. You also need to know that you can't access the state park from this end of the island. I was of the impression we could. The access is near Fernandina Beach - the actual beach on the east side of the island - quite a drive away.

Not sure we would return to Amelia Island. Wasn't quite what we expected - but then maybe we didn't do enough research.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Lady Amelia

Just curious as to what you were expecting.

Georgetown, ON
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Lady Amelia

Our expectations were based on the description on the web site.

Avon, OH
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Lady Amelia

Out of curiosity, did you want to stay in a large house because you were traveling with a large group? Where you stayed is definitely not where I would have suggested and probably not where anyone on this forum would have suggested you stay when you visited. I think you should def give Amelia Island another try and read through this forum .. there is TONS of good information and recommendations of places to stay. I think you just had a bad experience . . .as you notice no one (except for DL after some research, and he knows everything) knew of the accommodations you chose. Just my two cents .. hope you're not offended :-)