We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

What is the best transportation from Miami to Best Western in Florida City. Going the end of January. I'm meeting up with my grandparents who is staying at the best western, they cant drive well at night, so to keep them from coming to pick me up when my flight comes in at 9:00pm, I was thinking of catching a taxi or shuttle. I've read that taxi's can be pricey, especially when I'm not going right down the road or a few blocks away. Just need some insight on whats the best transportation. I don't want to rent a car due to them having a vehicle already. I will be traveling with my husband, son, and nephew. Thanks for anything suggestions you have!!

**Side note...my grandparents are very stubborn, I tried to get them to drive to the airport and then let me drive to Florida City, but that was a quick "No"..LOL So finding transportation is a must. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

If it is the Best Western on Krome Avenue ( I don't know that area well) there is shared ride Super Shuttle at MIA that would charge $72 for one passenger one way. I don't know how that would compare with taxi fare. If you google Supershuttle MIA you will find the website for all the airports they serve where you can double check the fare and reserve a ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

Your best bet will be to rent a car. A taxi to that area would be very expensive.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

I recommend that you rent a car. That tends to be the cheapest option by far.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

I have tried several times to find some good reasonably priced public transportation from either FLL or MIA to Florida City. So far, no luck. There is a way to do it, but it is silly and takes half a day. Anyone else, have any suggestions. Neal

Mentioned in this post
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

Well after a long time and a lot of digging (although have no idea why I did not find this before) I think I have found the best public transportation method of getting from MIA airport to Marathon, Fl and there is good news and bad news. The good news is, there is a Greyhound (express) bus that goes from MIA airport to Marathon. The bad news is, that it only runs twice a day, departing about 12:30 PM and another about 6 PM and therefore may not fit your airline schedule very good. Fare is pretty good, regular $36, internet and advance $18 and refundable $42, 3 stops and total time 3 hours. Now for you fare super sleuths, if you do not mind spending the time to save a few bucks. You can take the Greyhound from the MIA airport to Key Largo, that is roughly half way, half the time (1.5 hours) and half the fare.($9.50) Then can take the regular local bus from Key Largo to Marathon, there are about 6 buses a day from about 6:30 AM to about 9:30 PM and the fare is $2.25 and takes about 1.5 hours. So, actual riding time is about the same total elapsed time is considerably more depending on when local bus you take. To me does not make any sense to save $6.00 and spend 3-5 hours more traveling. So in summary, if you are determined to use public transportation, you should try to schedule your arriving flights to match the Greyhound bus schedule, $18.00 and three hours is actually really great. This is in contrast to renting a car one way or using the Keys Shuttle van, both of which will cost you about $90 and you cannot drive your own car down there in less than 3 hours. Have fun and enjoy the scenery and the ride. Neal

Mentioned in this post
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Largo
Largo
Florida
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

Sorry, neglected to point out, bus continues on to Key West, so for another $3 (total $22) and about another 1.5 hours to can take the bus all the way to the end of US 1 in Key West. Neal

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

Great info! Thanks for sharing, NealHart.

Edited: 10 January 2016, 10:44
China
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

I am going to Florida City from Miami on 7 April 2016. I also find it is difficult to find public transportation for this route.

Any suggestion....

Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

Try Uber or Lyft using a new rider discount code.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Miami airport to Florida City

thanks, appears that a good option is Greyhound, fare is great ($10 to Key Largo, $20 Marathon and $25 to Key West) and can either get off in Key Largo, Marathon or go all the way to Key West. Only bad news is that it only runs twice a day, 9:20 AM and 6:50 PM.

Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL