We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale and need to rent a car for a one day pre cruise stay, then return the car at Miami and get to the port there. Does anyone know if any of the car rental agencies offer a shuttle to the Miami port if we drop the rental car off at the airport, or does any of them have a drop off at the port? If not, what would be the best way to go?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

You might want to inquire in the Miami Forum which rental car companies there have offices near the Port. Unlike Fort Lauderdale, the Miami Port is quite far from the Miami Airport , so I doubt any car rental concession there would shuttle you all the way to the Port , which is Downtown. If you can find a rental car company that has an office closer to the Port ( more like Downtown) then you can inquire about drop off service from them. I think the Miami experts would know that more than anyone here.

You might also see if there is any advice on the website www.cruisecritic.com

Here in Fort Lauderdale , the Airport and Port Everglades are quite close to one another and many car rental agencies have one office that serves both. I doubt that is true in Miami.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

We flew into Miami and then transferred to FL by taxi - do you really need to hire a car for one day?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

In many cases, it will be cheaper in the long run to rent a car than to pay taxi fares- it would vary by individual situation. The taxi fare between Miami and Ft. lauderdale is usually $60 or more, I believe , and it is frequently possible to rent a car for less than that and also use it to get around on your pre or post cruise activities and often works out to be less expensive. But, it depends greatly on what one wants to do on that day and what kind of rentl car deal you can find- as rental car rates fluctuate greatly based on supply and demand.

Texas
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

Thanks for the tips. Yes, we will be in Ft Lauderdale the day before we leave on our cruise and we will want to do some tourist things, so that is why we will probably rent a car. Assuming taxi charges for all the running around would get pretty expensive. On the car rental websites, some of them do have drop off locations other than the airport, but I don't know which are located downtown. Do you know the location of the port other than just downtown? I will also ask on the Miami forum. Thanks for your information.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

I think the Miami Cruise Port is on Dodge Island- but I don't know how the car rental places would list it- I'll see if I can find out!

Texas
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

I found the location of the Hertz drop off. It's right by the port. There is another car rental location near by, can't remember the name, but it is not open on Sunday, which is the day we are leaving. I've found other TA post that says Hertz will shuttle to the cruise ship. I will cal them to be sure.

Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

Hey JCW2462:

We are taking a cruise in early April and are flying also into Fort Lauderdale Airport. Your situation mirrors ours. We are still trying to find a decent hotel in South Beach FL and also trying to figure HOW to get from airport to Miami and then from port back to airport. I think we will just take a taxi from South Beach to Port, as it's not far. Have you any final plans on yours that can help me with my search....i.e. how to get from airport to Miami (do NOT want to rent a car) and then also how to get from Port to Fort Lauderdale airport?

I appreciate you sharing your ideas on this. :)

Texas
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

Scooternmoe, In the research I've done, a rental car is the best option for us because we are staying in Ft Lauderdale the night before our cruise, then driving to Miami. Your hotel in Miami would probably have a shuttle to/from the airport in Miami, so I would look into getting from FLL to MIA. There are a lot of options on the FLL and Ft Lauderdale (sunny.org) website for ground transportation, limos, shuttles, shared rides, etc. You might also check with the cruise line, I know Carnival has a shuttle that that picks up and returns to both airports. Sorry I can't be more help. This is probably a question for one of the experts.

Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

Thank you for the information. Have you figured out yet how you are getting FROM Port back to FLL "after cruise"?? That is our next worry and headache! We are flying into FLL and were wanting to stay in South Beach, but are thinking twice about it and now looking to find a hotel close to beach and under $150 for one night in Ft. Lauderdale. Any suggestions? I am now wondering if it will be cheaper for us to rent a car at FLL, use it for one day and then return it next day somewhere close to Port of Miami....have you found a rental place yet that will best accomodate this too? We too cruise out on a Sunday (April 8) so we are wondering, too, if we would even be able to find a rental car place that is open and that will shuttle us for FREE to Port? I appreciate any shared info you have. :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Ft Lauderdale to Miami

we will probably take the Carnival shuttle back to FLL. We won't be in a hurry, out flight doesn't leave until afternoon. I haven't spoken directly to Hertz yet, but, according to their website, they do have a drop off very close to the port and will shuttle you to ship. We are getting in early the day before our cruise and renting a car. We are staying at LaQuinta in Hollywood and they do have a complimentary shuttle to/from airport. But, because we will have all day and night to do some running around, it is more convenient and cheaper to rent a car than taxi fare.