We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights after cruise

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
flights after cruise

Cruising with Celebrity in March 2018 with a 7 am arrival time. What time should I be booking our flight to return home the same day?

11 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,189 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: flights after cruise

No earlier than noon. The ship may arrive at 7 am but paperwork required to be completed by the staff of the ship for the immigration agents often means individual passengers o can't even start to disembark till an hour or more later and once you are through customs and arrive at FLL there are usually very long lines for check in etc on cruise days-so the cruise lines advise 11:30 or so as the earliest they feel comfortable telling you you should be able to assure you will not miss your flight .If you look through the documents they send you you will likely see a statement to that effect.

On one cruise we were on the count of passengers did not match the paperwork the ship submitted and a passengers name was called over the PA for almost an hour- no one was allowed to disembark till he was found. The first passengers didn't get to leave ship till 9:30- it doesn't happen often but it can.

You may be able to make and earlier flight- but if you miss it , you are stuck flying standby- sometimes not even the same day and usually at full fare.Your original ticket is generally worthless.

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
2. Re: flights after cruise

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Our flight options were 11:30 and 4, we took the 4 knowing we would have a long wait but wont have to worry about missing.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: flights after cruise

I think it was really smart to book the 4PM flight. Nothing like coming off a really nice, relaxing cruise and then immediately start worrying about missing a flight home. You can always use Bags-to-go to store your luggage and find a way to pass the time!

Edited: 18 September 2017, 17:29
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: flights after cruise

I think I have the name wrong, but the correct baggage storage name escapes me at the moment. Help me out please, Lulu!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,189 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: flights after cruise

Now Abby- you are a genius, so of course you got the name correct

https://www.bagstogo.net/

Important to check the hours though as they can be limited - and also if it is a Saturday or Sunday, you can get the free Sun Trolley shuttle into the Riverwalk area if you want /need to kill time and it fits your timetable..

Baggage is not allowed on Sun Trolley ( when you see the seating configuration , it's understandable)

but if you can check your bags you can use that free trolley service and maybe have lunch on the New River .

I'll post a link for the Airport trolley service- but you do have to taxi or Uber to the airport from your ship to do it. It does not service the Port.

suntrolley.com/routes-schedules-fares/…

Edited: 18 September 2017, 21:20
NC
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
154 reviews
6. Re: flights after cruise

Very good! As a regular cruiser, we have never made it to FLL airport before 9:30am. We have had a darn delay EVERY time we cruised out of FLL! :(

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: flights after cruise

My agent booked us the flight at 11:40 am back to Toronto after the cruise on Dec. 30. She said we should have enough time to get to airport. I wish I have read this forum before confirming our flight.

It is too late to change the flight unless I buy another tickets for my family. Please advice the best and fast way to get to airport from Port Everglades.

I was planning to line up for taxi after off the ship. My agent advice to book transfer to airport. I have read some forum saying it will be better to take Uber. We are 4 adults and one 14 years old.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
259 reviews
8. Re: flights after cruise

No need to pre-book, Uber/Lyft or a taxi will be quick. Given the size of your party, you may need to book an UberXL or Lyft Plus for the extra room. Try and disembark the ship as early as possible and make your way quickly to the airport.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
9. Re: flights after cruise

I'm coming off a cruise on December 19th (a Tuesday) and we have a flight scheduled for 1039am going to cancun...

After reading this thread it seems there is no way we will make it but is that really the case?

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: flights after cruise

No reputable travel agent will ever recommend a flight prior to noon. And if you arrive in FLL on the same day as one or more of the RCCL “Behomoth of the Seas” you are in for controlled chaos at the airport.

Reply to: flights after cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted