We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

Hi! Will be travelling to FL August next year. Will not be hiring a car for this segment of our trip. Could anyone advise which hotel is best situated for walking to restaurants, shops, grocery store etc as have small child with us with little legs!! Many thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

Or even considering Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel if any better???

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

My personal choice would be Courtyard . I think the other two have less walkable from them

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

Also ,be aware that there is no grocery store on the beach . The closest thing to it is the CVS Drugs at Beachplace which has a very expanded section of grocery items like cereal, dairy products, cold cuts, snacks etc- most folks can find what they need there But if that won't suffice plan on stopping for groceries as you drive your car along 17th ST , which is probably the access road you will use to the Beach. The stoplight near Embassy Suites is for Cordova Rd and if you turn right ( south) at that light, it will take you into Harbor Shops, which has a large Publix supermarket with anything you could possibly need.

ma
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

I usually stay at the Courtyard by Marriott. I find it very convenient and I do not have a car. Lots of restaurant choices in the area.

Edited: 10 October 2017, 11:32
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
637 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

The Sonesta on the corner of A1A and Sunrise?

While I love the Marriott, those floor to ceiling windows have amazing views, the Sonesta is within walking distance to grocery stores, shopping, and dining.

You have to walk over the Sunrise bridge but there is a mall, excellent dining (Trulucks, Capitol Grill, PF Changs, Seasons 52, etc) and a Publix.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

I like the Courtyard's location better than the Sonesta. Having to walk across the Sunrise Blvd. bridge isn't one of my favorite things to do and there's more opportunities with an easier walk from the Courtyard.

That said, neither hotel has balconies and you can't open the windows (I love to listen to the surf). All of the Sonesta's rooms face the ocean, but at night, there's really no view as the ocean is dark.

I personally like either the north or south rooms at the Courtyard as you have a side view of the ocean and the Intracoastal as well.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

Thank you for your reply. Think we have decided on the courtyard as from what people have said it seems a better position. What is it about the non balconies in Fort Lauderdale???!! 😮. Can't seem to find an affordable place with one! Do like a balcony but looks like it's not meant to be 😀

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????

I really think it's liability issue for a hotel- especially if a guest has been drinking. Same seems to be the case in Las Vegas-

there have been some fatalities fairly recently in other parts of Florida where young Spring breakers fell from balconies.

Reply to: Sonnesta or Courtyard by Marriott????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale