We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

We are arriving on January 2nd for three nights. We will be going to the Orange Bowl on the 3rd. Looks like the weather is 60-70, not exactly beach weather. We are staying at the Pelican Beach Resort for about $400 per night. After a lot of research, I decided that was our best bet in Ft. Lauderdale for beachfront accomodations. I am wondering if I should cancel it and book two rooms on Priceline someplace else at a fraction of the cost, since chances are it won't even be warm enough to swim. I am second guessing myself. Just curious as to what you think? I can't believe that we are leaving the frigid temperatures of PA for chilly weather in FL.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

It will be far warmer than Pennsylvania -- and you'll still have fabulous views....and you can still walk on the beach.

You might not have gone swimming, even if it was 80 degrees (as warm as it gets this time of year) -- the water temperature isn't exactly like bathwater -- in the low 70s, I think.

Other than for cost reasons, I don't know why you'd change....

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

Todays ocean water temps were posted from Fowey Rocks ( six miles off S part of Miami @ between 77F & 78F

Hollywood posted temps were 77+F at lifeguard stand (Garfield)...which is the city just below Ft Lauderdale.

Usually, the ocean temps during the winter in SE Fl are pretty warm, due to the Gulf Stream ( which leaves Fl just N of Stuart).

The biggest problem would be the air temps. Cool air still makes it hard to swim.....

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

Sunshine-You are right. We can afford where we are at, so we might as well stay. I was just really hoping for nice warm weather. Granted, it will be warmer than PA, but I wanted to catch some nice warm rays. On the up side, I don't have to worry about putting this pasty white body in a swim suit, and no time left to fake bake now. lol.

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

KenK-I see you are in Hollywood. We had originally booked the new Crowne Plaza in Hollywood. We decided to change to the Pelican Beach Resort because of it being directly on the beach with no highway in between. I think the rate we had was $389 a night. I noticed it going on PL for about $80 per night. I could get almost 5 rooms per night from PL at the Crowne Plaza for the price of what we are paying for one room. That is what made me second guess where we are staying, considering the forecast.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

and a lot of the time, if you can get out of the wind, it's quite warm.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

I noticed you mentioned that you also checked out the new Crowne Plaza in Hollywood. It's just across the street from the beach. Both hotels are great properties and I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

As far as the weather goes, it will be warm enough to sunbathe - the sand and surf will be warm and you're coming to the land of sunshine, so lay on the beach and soak up the sun!!!

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

Abby-I was hesitant about the Crowne because it is across the street from the hotel. We want more of a 'resort' feeling, do you think the Pelican is a better place for that? Also, which beach do you think is nicer?

It looks like Friday might be a good day for sun. It says upper 70's which is great.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

the Pelican is a great place and has a real resort feel. They also have a "lazy river" - perfect for people like me who don't have a problem with vegging out:)

The Crowne Plaza is a really nice property, but if you're looking for relaxation, the Pelican will suit you very well.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

Oops - forgot to mention the beach! Both beaches are great but again, the Pelican will have more of a resort-type feel as it's directly on the beach. Do try the lazy river...it's one of the most relaxing things to do!

10. Re: Weather chilly.....should I cancel our beachfront hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 07:16