We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-Century Modern Furniture Stores

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-Century Modern Furniture Stores

Does anyone know of any mid-century modern furniture stores in the region around Ft Lauderdale? Thanks.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-Century Modern Furniture Stores

I think this is still there but haven't ben by lately:

http://www.glimpsemodern.com/

I also think there's one a few streets away from me here in the Galt- but I haven't been inside- if it gets a little warmer out in the next couple of days I'll be out to take a look- I was admiring their window as I drove by, but just a general impression. I suspect there are a few others around the first one I posted, but I'd have to drive arounds that area to check- lots of interesting decorator shops in that area - which is Wilton Manors.

Do you know about the DCOTA ( Design Center of the Americas) just south of the Airport?- I think ther would be some great contacts there.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-Century Modern Furniture Stores

http://www.middlegallery.com/

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-Century Modern Furniture Stores

Is the poster looking for new or used? There are a few great consignment shops behind the Egg & You diner at US1 and NE 26th St, two of which specialize in MiMo furniture. The consigment shop in the corner of the Times Square shopping center at US1 and Oakland Park Blvd had some nice lucite pieces from the late '50s when I last stopped in there, but it's not a specialty of theirs.

There is also a prodigiously expensive store called Minimalista on Sunrise Blvd at the Rt 1 curve that sells MiMo-inspired stuff at prices that only a Trump could afford. I have been out of town for nearly 6 months, so I'm not sure if it's even still in business. I have never seen anyone buy something there.

Again, I'll put in a plug for Hollywood, which is a good place to look for MiMo stuff.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-Century Modern Furniture Stores

I think that store is still there Awful- but I do agree with you that thereare probably great finds to be had at second hand places and even thrift shops- it's not something I know anything about but gosh the thrift shop at Holy Cross Hospital seems to get some great vintage stuff .

I feel that the poster will be in heaven between all the old motels ( the America's Best Inn north of the Airport is actually a building from the 30's I think) and the furniture stuff that abounds- and I will have to look into Dandee Donuts myself- so much for the New Years diet- thanks Pat for the temptation!

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-Century Modern Furniture Stores

Thanks for all this great info! I'm looking for new or used.

6. Re: Mid-Century Modern Furniture Stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 19:19