We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayaking

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
kayaking

just checking on kayak rentals in the area of anywhere between fort lauderdale to Miami - prices, areas, interesting spots, birdwatching areas, places I won't get lost?-any on the intracoastal??? thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kayaking

I have gone kayaking with Full Moon Kayak and found them to be kind and knowledgeable. They have a variety of tours. For birdwatching, their Whiskey Creek tour is supposed to be good. There is also a kayak rental behind the K-Mart on Oakland Park Blvd in Wilton Manors. Lastly, you can rent by the hour (~$10) at Anne Kolb Nature Center in Hollywood and can stay on their lakes and mangrove flats. Good heron watching back there.

Unless you're a very experienced kayaker or a daredevil, I'd stay off the Intracoastal and stick to the more serene and scenic canals and inland waterways. Too much testosterone on the major waterways -- you don't want to be paddling next to a Cigarette boat.

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayaking

Thanks awfulcat - I once did a full moon kyack tour on the full moon - in Hollywood - but last year I couldn't seem to locate them. Any more info on the Wilton Manors one? - I didn't get any # for them - is it right on a river?? I think I got lost trying to find that one. I come down in Feb.- for 1 precious week - and hate wasting it looking for places that I'm not sure of. I need to store up all of that natural - vitamin D

If anyone has tel.#'s and locations, also maybe some discriptions of their paddles - would appreciate it.

Guess intracoastal is out, but besides birds, I like looking at the homes on the water, any spots like that???

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kayaking

http://www.fullmoonkayak.com/ is their URL. I haven't been in town for several months, so I don't have any additional info on the one behind the K-Mart, but I do know that near where I live there is the Colohatchee boat launch (NE 15th Ave, near NE 20th St). If you put in here, you are right in a cool, older neighborhood with lots of interesting homes and fairly light boat traffic. Most of the "ow, wow" homes are along the high-traffic areas ("See and been Seen" is the mantra for those folks), but paddling around Wilton Manors should afford you a view of some really nice properites as well as lots of iguanas and some birds.

Another really great source is Atlantic Coast Kayak in Pompano. http://www.atlanticcoastkayak.com/ Right on their homepage are hours and a tour that sounds like the one I'm describing.

Happy paddling,

Awfulcat

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kayaking

thanks - I tried to get to Wilson Manors once before and got lost. Thanks, maybe I'll try again - your other Pompono sounds great--yhanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kayaking

Awfulcat, the kayak place you stated coloachee - did they have rentals?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kayaking

Next time I'm out I'll go behind K Mart and see what I can find for you! That's not far from me!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kayaking

Lots of good info in this article: southflorida.com/attractions/…1199183.story

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kayaking

thanks loo-2 and awfulcat - will search out website - will be there in a little more than a week - can't wait - hope there are no bad weather delays on my end - please reserve me some great weather thanks again

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kayaking

Awfulcat - tried out that south florids post but nothing csam up - thanks anyway

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kayaking

Basslady, try again -- I just cut and pasted the URL into my browser and it came up. The name of the story is "Nine great urban kayak outings," so you can find it that way too by searching Google.