We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap eats, buffets

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Cheap eats, buffets

I was wondering if anyone knew where there was a good breakfast buffet that is a reasonable cost and or any buffets around fort lauderdale that aren't too expensive?

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

If you like Japanese food and sushi, then you could do a lot worse than try out the Kyojin Japanese Buffet on North Federal Highway.

I ate the sushi and really liked it, my fiance stuck to the hot food and wasn't so impressed.

It was an absolute bargain, though, and the food was very fresh and replaced frequently - which is always something to look for in a buffet!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

I'm sorry I can't tell you of any buffets in the area. But I can recommend a heck of a diner in a well-travelled location (Oakland Blvd at the Federal Highway). It's called Peter Pan Diner and is open 24 hours a day. It's not dirt cheap but is far from expensive. And you really get your moneys worth.

The food is home-cooked, meals come with a wonderful bread basket and you will not believe their dessert case. The merangue on one of pies looked to be at least four inches tall! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone and I wish they had another restaurant near where I live!

BTW, Oakland Park Blvd is a main drag in Ft. Lauderdale. The Federal Highway is "1".

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

Peter Pan Diner is on Oakland Park Blvd but it is not on Federal Hwy., US 1. It is several miles west of it.

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

Search net for Sweet Tomatoes, Golden Corral which are very inexpensive and OK to good.

Sweet Tomatoes is primarily a giant salad bar, but does have some starches and a bit of chicken or beef...I think it started as a real health & calorie type place.....BUT they probably didn't get enough business.

Golden Corral is a tad better than its older ( and some gone) units called Ponderosa, Bonanza, and some of the other places.

It is primarily a very family oriented place that really helps them keep costs down. Has very good (IMO) Fried Chicken (big as Oven Stuffers)...food moves very fast, so it doesn't soften in the steam tables. Super informal, very busy and can get messy. Grill open for lunch only for bergers at lunch. For dinner, it has steaks and ribs on the grill....but it ain't Ruth Chris.

I know there are several Pedrinos Cuban Restaurants throughout Dade & Broward. I don't know if all serve the lunch buffet ($7.99) that the one does in Hallandale. That is a very good place Cuban food from Pedrinos is very plain....( Lunch Buffett only Mon to Fri)

Two we no longer go to is the national chain Country Buffet ( Stacies) and any of the Emerald Coast Chinese Buffets. Just not worth the calories...Emerald Coast website will have coupons.

Not cheap but good was the Breakfast ( Brunch) at the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

It's on Oakland Park Boulevard at Dixie Highway, which as Pat has said is several miles west of US1.

Another place I like not too far from there is on Oakland Park a bit west of there called CC's Fish Camp. They have an early bird special ( 3-6 9 or maybe 7) $10 pp- several entrees to choose from and includes a salad.

There really aren't any buffets and all you can eats near the tourist areas - you pretty much have to go out west closer to "condo commando " country. There is a seafood palce called Catfish Deweys on Andrews Avenue north of Oakland Park Blvd. that has all you can eat catfish every night and a few other specials on certain nights like all you can eat fried shrimp or ribs for around $15 or so. They also advertise all you can eat stone crabs on one night , but theer is no price given- I would expect that would be quite expensive.

There is a Sweet Tomatoes at Andrews Avenue and Cyprss Creek ( 62nd st) that is an all you can eat salad bar, soup, pasta etc for under $10. They were experimenting with a breakfast buffet on weekends only , but I'm not sure if it caught on.

To me the best values are usually diners like Peter Pan or other places that have early bird specials or full course meal specials ther is another diner called Victoria Park on Sunrise just west of Federal ( US 1) on the south side . If you pick up some little free newspapers given out around town in racks ( Like the Eastsider or the Highriser )they often have ads for early birds or buy one get one free - generally a bit outside the tourist areas though. You may also want to consider a larger meal at lunch and some Happy Hour specials at dinner. I think Zo's Off the Hook on Commercial usually has good Happy Hour prices on food.

Where are you staying? Maybe we can come up with few more bargain spots close by. Aruba Beach Cafe at Commercial and A1A has breakfast buffet for $10 on Sundays ( maybe Saturday too- not sure). It's not the best quality ( packaged danish and french toast sticks as well as eggs benedict bacon etc) and does require that you buy a drink in addition.- but it is all you can eat.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

Hold the presses! I just remembered a place we went last week- Jax House of Ribs- on Powerline Rd, north of Commercial Blvd and they have an all you can eat. It used to be a Sonny's BBQ, but it is so much better now:

http://jaxhouseofribs.com/aboutus.aspx

Still out of the tourist area, but if you are out and around not too bad- we had sliced pork and it was fabulous and the biggest glass of iced tea ( sweet or unsweetened) known to man!

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

I remembered that Nabab does a lunch and dinner buffet. It is Indian food. On A1A just south of Oakland Park Blvd.

Shooters does a decent Sunday Brunch buffet. Blue Moons Sunday Brunch is better but more expensive too.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

Ooops! So sorry about giving you the wrong location! I thought the Federal Hwy was 1. :(

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

It is Zeebo, but Peter Pan is several blocks west of US 1( aka Federal Highway) on Dixie Hwy!! I never have figued out why so many of our streets and roads have two names ( 441 is also State Rd. 7 etc). It must drive visitors crazy- but you have the correct road, it's just that Peter Pan isn't on it!

10. Re: Cheap eats, buffets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 20:20