We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late flight out of FLL after cruise ~ what to do?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
156 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Late flight out of FLL after cruise ~ what to do?

Our cruise is out of Port of Miami, and I have arranged transportation back to FLL already. I've read that there is a baggage storage facility at the airport, correct? Our flight is not until 8 pm. How far from FLL is Sawgrass Mills, and would it be terribly expensive by taxi? Anything fairly close to the airport that is worth killing a few hours?

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late flight out of FLL after cruise ~ what to do?

Sawgrass Mills is far and is going to be expensive by taxi, I would guestimate at least $50 each way, plus you need hours there as it is huge.

personally, would suggest you go to Las Olas and wonder down the street, maybe get an early dinner or have a drink. there are loads of boutiques, art galleries etc, nice way to kill a couple of hours.

alternatively, you could go to see the Bodies exhibit at the Riverfront, but I think it ends fairly soon, so it depends when you are here.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,979 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late flight out of FLL after cruise ~ what to do?

The baggage storage at the airport charges $5 a bag I believe- it is located at only one of the terminals I believe - don't recall which one - I have never seen it in my travels there- there may be better information at the FLL website. I think the previous poster was conservative in estimating taxi to Sawgrass- I think I have heard $75 in each direction. Is it a Sunday when you would be traveling- not sure, but I think most malls open later on Sundays - often not till afternoon.

Las Olas would be nice for strolling and dining. Even though you have just come off a cruise if you wanted to do the hour and ahalf Carrie B cruise of the inland waterway (docks just south of Jackson's on Las Olas Blvd), their Captain Seaton has in the past been agreeable to storing luggage in his office , even if you want to get a bite to eat afterwards. I think the earliest cruise is at 11 am- after that in the afternoon. There are lots of nice shops and sidewalk cafes and it is only a short ride from the Airport- and a chance to cruise by mega- mansions and big yachts with a brief trip into Port Everglades .

www.carriebcruises.com for more info or to e-mail to verify the luggage issue

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
156 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late flight out of FLL after cruise ~ what to do?

Thanks for the replies ~ Sunday, March 30 is the day we'll be trying to kill a few hours. So, sounds like Sawgrass Mills is out. Las Olas sounds interesting, and I will check out that Carrie B cruise ~ thanks for the link, lulutoo! I was hoping to catch a movie, which is why I thought about Sawgrass Mills. Any closer movie theaters with early afternoon showings? We'll have our son, 22 and our nephew, 23 with us ~ trying to keep them somewhat entertained in the 6 or 7 hours before we have to check in at the airport! ;)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late flight out of FLL after cruise ~ what to do?

there is a movie theater - Sunrise Stadium 15 at Las Olas Riverfront (same place as the Bodies exhibit). this is just a short walk from the man part of Las Olas, altho there are restaurants in this area as well.

5. Re: Late flight out of FLL after cruise ~ what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 13:18