We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to the Keys from Ft. Lauderdale?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
TN
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to the Keys from Ft. Lauderdale?

We are wondering how long the drive is from Ft. Lauderdale to the keys (Key Largo?) We will fly into Ft. L. and would like to find a condo somewhere between the two. Anyone have any ideas? Driving time? THANKS from Tennessee.

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to the Keys from Ft. Lauderdale?

Key Largo is the first key right S on Miami. With good traffic, and on expressways I would say it would take you just under two hours from FLL ( I assume you are renting a car?)

FLL is very near the beach betwwen Ft LAud & Hollywood.

You can get to the Keys (Key Largo) simply by going S on US RT one right in front of the airport...however, that might take you about 4+ hours, as you will have to go through many lights, right through downtown Miami, and then onward S to Homestead & Fl City.

Much faster is to P/U rental car, and ask how to get onto I 595 W. ( FLL is at the end of I 595 E...ends at airport & US Rt one)

Go west on I 595 past airport on your left, and note signs for I 95 N & S. Pass them, but stay in the right lane and exit onto the Florida Turnpike South. Follow signage that says Fl Turnpike, "HOMESTEAD EXTENSION"

You are goint to take the turnpik to its very end....at Fl City Keys Gate and Homestead ( Exit # 1)

Get off and con't S on US Rt One - yes the same as you saw at FLL...but 70 miles further S)

In a few miles, you will have a choice...end up on the southern end of Key Largo by staying on US Rt One....or taking Card Sound Road....Hmmmm.

Theres an interesting place on Card Sound called Alabama Jacks (if it is still there...)

What do you mean by a condo? A beachfront condo?

Why between the two? The super nice beach front ( or near the beach places) will make your trip much longer, because then you will be stuck on using US Rt one or I 95 S that ends in Downtown Miami.

But others here will be able to help....

Kansas
Level Contributor
103 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to the Keys from Ft. Lauderdale?

Why a condo in between? If your flying in late at night just stay in Ft.Lauderdale and drive in the morning. With good traffic it should only take 1 1/2 hours to Key Largo. We usually get to FLL in the am-drive down to Islamorada and get settled/get grocies and still have plenty of time to get ready to go out for dinner that night. Your going to the Keys so you'll need to learn to go with the flow. It's the best part of the islands--relaxation! I want to go now!!!

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to the Keys from Ft. Lauderdale?

Alabama Jacks is still there and closes at 7 pm. I think that's kinda important for the traveler to know if they are getting in and driving down from FLL in the early evening.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to the Keys from Ft. Lauderdale?

I drove from Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo in Dec. following a cruise and took the scenic, long way there. It took a little over 4hrs, including lunch stop and alligator farm stop. On way back, took turnpike and interstate and it took a little over 2hrs. Traffic was very heavy and theres a lot of construction right before you get to Key Largo on a bridge so traffic was at 20-30mi an hour. ugh! But if the weathers nice, its not too bad. We stayed at Holiday Inn and Marina in Key Largo which was great. They have 2 pools, a jacuzzi outside and a poolside bar. The marina has the African Queen and diving and snorkeling tours available plus a couple of restaurants. A great place to stay!

5. Re: Driving to the Keys from Ft. Lauderdale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 19:18