We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

Reading...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

Traveling with my 63 yr old mother & 17 yr old daughter mid April. Looking for hotel with easy beach access & private balcony with view. Have booked an oceanview room at the Bahia Mar but reading overall reviews & I'm having 2nd thoughts. Should I follow my gut feeling & look into another property or stick to original plan? If I need to find another hotel please guide me in the right direction. Would like to have a restaurant/lounge, clean room & good hospitality. I'm I asking for too much???

Reading...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

Oops, Am I asking for too much????

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

I don't think Bahia Mar's rooms have balconies and honestly, the hotel could use a bit of TLC.... I don't know what you want to spend, but Marriott Harbor Beach isa wonderful hotel on the beach with lots of amenities. Depending on when you're coming, it could be pricey, but the resort is wonderful. Otherwise, at the new Hilton Fort Lauderdale beach hotel, all rooms have balconies and all rooms are suites (some are "studios" which to some people aren't really suites). Both the Marriott and Hilton have all the amenities you're looking for.

Reading...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

I just did a quick check on rates for Marriott harbor beach & you got to be kidding me!!!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

As you have seen from your price check of the Marriott, it probably is unlikely you can get an easy beach access with balcony overlooking the beach in a hotel without paying a hefty price tag. I do have to say that The Bahia Mar may not be all that great for beach access as it is about a block from the beach and requires crossing Seabreeze Blvd - a very busy roadway. You might look into the good ole Best Western Oceanside, which will not have a balcony as far as I recall( I believe their rooms overlook a small pool) and you do have to walk down along the Yankee Clipper hotel , but it is on the beach side of A1A and not a long walk. I would expect the rooms to be in better shape than the ones at Bahia Mar, which seems to have ongoing problems with room quality. Another possibility in the less expensive range would be the SunTower at Pelican Grande- the older section which used to be a Best Western with rooms that would be about like that in style, but which have good housekeeping from all reports. It is directly on the beach , but I can't recall if there are balconies. You get to use the facilities of the spiffier Pelican Grande , which includes a lovely pool. The downsides are that you must pay for parking ( I think I heard $16 /day). I assume there was a parking charge at Bahia Mar as well, but don't know what it is. If you aren't going to have a car the SunTower would probably be a less desirable choice because it is north of the main beach area and not much is walkable from there. There is a restaurant and an ice cream parlor in the pelican Grande- it's much more expensive neighbor.

Another possibility is g go much further north ( about a 20 minute drive I'd say) to Deerfield Beach. There is beautiful newly remodeled Embassy Suites right on the sand- probably less expensive than the Marriott , but obviously more than the Bahia Mar, but an easier, nicer situation for your mother. Unfortunately when you find a lower priced hotel( such as Bahia Mar) in this very expensive market it is often undesirable. Our prices are quite high because we are a cruise port and the ships easily fill rooms with pre/post cruise customers- lots more big ships calling here have really affected the prices.

Another possibility I will mention with some uncertainty is the Lauderdale Beachside Hotel in Lauderdale by the Sea. It is a former Clarion that fell on very hard times and is in the process of being rehabbed. It has several bad reviews for room condition, but the more recent ones are better. They have one building right on the sand and another across a not very busy street. Many rooms are ocean view, but I don't recall the balcony situation. Lauderdale by the Sea is a charming little town on the north end of Ft. Lauderdale that is favored by Europeans and Canadians.

If you decide that would meet your needs, I would suggest calling for a reservation and dropping Trip Advisor's name - they are aware of their prior bad reviews and seem eager to please people who might be reviewing the hotel on this site. You should ask how to guarantee a remodeled room with an Ocean view. In one case the manager asked a caller mentioning Trip Advisor to name her own price.

Those are the only possibilities I can think of that might suit at the lower price end of things. Sheraton Yankee Clipper would be another possibility right on the beach, but some of their rooms are shabby and they are about to go through a rehabbing cycle , shutting down one section at a time. For that reason , I would hesitate to suggest it.

Good luck on your search- you are not the first person to experience sticker shock at our hotel prices . We are no longer the sleepy little beach town that depends on spring break business. We've totally priced ourselves out of the college kid/budget traveller market.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

I'm going to withdraw my suggestion of the Lauderdale Beachside after looking at last weeks reviews which are uniformly bad- apparently only a handful of rooms are truly redone and their are reports of mildew , rude employees etc. Such a shame because it is on the beach and many rooms have balconies- but I sure can't suggest that you take the chance based on what I'm reading.

I hope the management is aware that they had better get with it if they want to bring this hotel back- as they have said that they want to do. It could be real find with the proper attention , but apparently isn't there yet.

Reading...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

Thanks for all your help but after much time researching I have decided to stay with my original reservation at the Bahia Mar. Any hotel I find with the same amenities but better reviews are costing $300+ a night. I did call the hotel & the front desk clerk reassured me that the ocean view room that I booked is located in the tower & are much nicer. So I will keep my fingers crossed & hope for the best. Wish me luck & I will let you know how I make out.

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

Good Luck harlygrl - I can add that the Bahia Mar is right opposite the Beach & you access it by using a walk way that has steps down onto the sidewalk by the beach.I shopped in the Deli which is useful for essentials but a bit pricey & they also have a nice Gift Shop. The entrance to the hotel is quite impressive & the Reception area smart. It feels more upmarket than the Sheraton Yankee Clipper though of course I can't comment on the rooms. There are no facilities on the Beach opposite the hotel so if you fancy a drink/snack whilst on the beach I would suggest walking along the sand to the Yankee Clipper as their Beach Bar is open to non residents. You are in the ideal area for relaxing on the beach by day & walking out for a meal at night as there are plenty of resatuarants within a 10 minute walk. Have a great time!

Ft. Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

You will be fine at the Bahia Mar. Most reccomend the tower rooms so see if you can get one. Many people confuse two different hotels, the Bahia Mar & the Bahia Cabana, the Bahia Cabana is a Day's Inn & needs to be redone, the Bahia Mar is a better hotel. Enjoy your stay in our beautiful city!

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

That makes sense Donedeal as I thought the Bahia Mar looked absolutely fine.

The Bahia Cabana is quite different, much more a fun Budget property, though worth harlygrl & her family popping into for a bite to eat in a nice casual waterfront setting. Your 17 year old might enjoy the atmosphere with live music etc. Look at other postings as its pretty popular!

Reading...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 2nd thoughts on hotel I booked

Thanks to all for your advice. I am feeling better about my choice & plan to just have a great time. Hey, how much time do you really spend in your room anyway?

Does anyone have any good suggestions on things to do. Keep in mind the age range here...I am 42 & my 65yr old mother & 17 yr old daughter. I most definitely need to get a t-shirt from a Harley shop.