We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

Ackley, Iowa
5 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

We are going to Fort Lauderale in two weeks and we wanted to visit South beach for a day. We are not renting a car that way so i was looking for the best and cheapest option to get to south beach. Thank you!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

Honestly, without your own car there is no inexpensive and easy way to get to South Beach. A Taxi would be over $100, trains and buses would be cheap, but would take a long time and you'd be dealing with Broward County and Miami Dade County's separate transit systems. You could take Tri-Rail from FTL to MIA and then take a cab from there -- that would only cost maybe $20 plus the train fare.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

Awful, you are much more conversant with this than I . as I don't generally use Tri Rail and have only driven to South Beach twice.

Do you think there would be any advantage to the poster taking that metro rail connection from Tri Rail that I think goes to Government Center in Miami rather than to the Airport? Would that be any closer for a taxi? I really don't know how all that works.I do agree with you that the options for public transportation are far from ideal.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,126 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

Without a car I honestly wouldn't bother and even with a car parking is a expensive nightmare. Catch a bus to Hollywood Beach if you want a different beach experience to the one at Fort Lauderdale.

BTW Awfulcat when did you sneak into my garden to take a photo of my cat (Ozzy).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

Lulu: Although I've never made this trip (and really wouldn't want to without my car), but you're correct in that transferring to Govt' Center would save a few dollars. Another thing I haven't tried but could work is the Rideshare boards on Craigslist. Most of those are for longer trips though, like to NYC or Orlando.

Sue: That's our Myles, but if your cat ever gives you problems, let me know. You can have this one cheap...he's awful!

Ackley, Iowa
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

after reading everyones reply we decided to just go ahead and rent a car. We also wanted to take a day and drive down to the keys...any tips or things we should check out?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

We recently lost our long time cat, Dipstick Kitty. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to give that bad boy away, but now that he is gone I really miss all his atttitude!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

The Keys AND South Beach? Are you just dedicating a day to each? You can do it in a day in South Beach if you have your own car but it's quite a long drive to Key West. I would encourage you to go to Key West but once you get there you are going to want to spend some time and not just head back to Fort Lauderdale.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,126 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

Key West is too far to do in a day. You need to spend at least a couple of nights there to fully appreciate it. You could just about manage some of the upper keys in a day. I would set off early to get the maximum amount of time there and take the turnpike.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

Lulu -- sorry to hear about Dipstick -- you'll have to explain the name though -- that's an unusual one for a cat! :-) HS -- if you want to get a flavor of the keys in 90 minutes from FTL, take my Alabama Jack's tip and then head back north. It's hardly Key West but it's a cool, zero-frills restaurant in a tiny fishing village and a very rural, unique setting. You'll see fish, birds, mangroves and boats, then you can head back to FTL and plan your next adventure. My wife and I try to go down there a couple of times a year, just for lunch. http://www.alabamajacks.com/

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Ft. Lauderdale...want to visit South Beach

Hi...doesn't the water taxi from Fort Lauderdale have a special boat ride to South Beach....check it out. Google Water Taxi Fort Lauderdale...I know they have it, just not sure about the price.