We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Lauderdale to Hollywood beach question.

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Virginia
Level Contributor
51 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Lauderdale to Hollywood beach question.

My wife and I are really excited about our upcoming trip to Fort Lauderdale in August. Fort Lauderdale holds a special place in our hearts because we spent our honeymoon there three years ago and have nothing but good memories of our stays.

One place we always plan on going to but never get around to is Hollywood Beach. We are thinking of spending an afternoon in Hollywood Beach. What are some of the things to do like shopping or sightseeing?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Hollywood beach question.

There is a small boardwalk in Hollywood Beach and one gigantic highrise (Trump). Other than that I don't know why you'd want to leave Fort Lauderdale. Most of the places in Hollywood are tiny motel-type units without swimming pools and very limited parking.

Personally, if I was to leave Fort Lauderdale and go south I'd drive a little further and explore the Art Deco district of Miami Beach. You can always get parking within three blocks of the beach and it's a lot more exciting than Hollywood which is 98% retirees. Expect to pay premium prices for food and drink in Miami Beach, tho! Or save a buck and dine in Hollywood and just sight-see in MB.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Hollywood beach question.

There isnt much shopping to do in the Hollywood Beach area, mostly lil tourist shops. However, there are quite a few nice places to dine. I would recommend Le Tub on the west side of Federdal A1A. It was written up in Maxim magazine as one of the best burger places in the nation. Or you can try any of the lil restaurants along the beach. No recommendations here really, they are all about the same quality and you cant go wrong.

I would recommend going to Jaxson's ice cream parlor on your way home though. Its off of Federdal Highway/US 1 and Sheridan Street. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,959 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Hollywood beach question.

I like Hollywood beach. It is a totally different experience to Fort Lauderdale. I hadn't been for years until our last visit and I had forgotten how nice it is. The boardwalk is around 2 miles long and an interesting an pleasant walk past period Mom and Pop style motels and smaller inexpensive restaurants and bars. You could easily spend a pleasant afternoon strolling about and enjoying the beach. I will probably be rather quiet in August as it tends to be popular with Canadian snowbirds. Well worth a visit IMO.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Hollywood beach question.

Hollywood calls it a broadwalk, not sure what the difference is between a broadwalk and a boardwalk. Unless a boardwalk is usually wooden and the broadwalk is basically a very wide sidewalk.

I remember seeing a place where you could rent tandem bikes along the broadwalk. They do have live music with dancing some evenings. I'll post a link below. Nothing for Aug. yet but you may want to keep checking.

www.hollywoodfl.org/parks_rec/Concert.asp

Welcome back, enjoy your visit.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Hollywood beach question.

Hey Joey -

I personally like the broadwalk in Hollywood - lots of little touristy-type of shops and different restaurants. One poster mentioned LeTub, but there's also Flicker Light (Chicago-style pizza, etc.) and Taverna Opa (Greek) but these are on A1A and not the broadwalk. Trump is building a large complex but it's far from open.

There's a large parking garage at Johnson Street, but also street parking on the little streets between A1A and the ocean. I believe it's worth spending at least a 1/2 day there.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Hollywood beach question.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale, and I personally prefer Hollywood beach - it's less crowded.... and if you *know* where to park, a lot easier. But then again, I live here...... if i was a tourist looking for more action on the beach, i'd probably stick to Ft. Lauderdale..... but Hollywood is nice and a lot more low-key and relaxing.

7. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Hollywood beach question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 04:19