We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-cruise hotel area

U.K.
Level Contributor
76 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-cruise hotel area

Hello,

Considering a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. Flying from U.K. for maybe 3 nights to give us a couple of full days in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

Any suggestions for hotel area, covenient to ammenities, beach, maybe some shopping and good restuarants etc.

Don't know the area at all so would welcome any suggestions.

Thank You,

Iain

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,362 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

This question is frequently asked, so if you type cruise in the search box lots of suggestions will come up.

There are several good hotels near Port Everglades but they are not near the beach. If you are talking discount shopping you would need a car to go to Sawgrass Mills. It would helpif you could say when you are planning to visit, how much you are prepared to pay and whether or not you will have a car.

Mentioned in this post
Sawgrass Mills
Sawgrass Mills
8,254 Reviews
Sunrise, FL
U.K.
Level Contributor
76 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

Hello Sue,

The cruise is the end of Dec. I had not intended to hire a car and would prefer not to. Price would dependent on the time of year I think as our arrival would be 2 days after Xmas. Rates may be high due to the holiday period and people taking the chance to get away.

AuroraUK

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,362 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

If you are not having a car but still want to be near the beach and restaurants, I think I would go for the area around the Best Western Oceanside, Sheraton Yankee Clipper, Bahia Mar beacause you would be close to the busier end of the beach and a good choice of restaurants. Also you would be close to the Water Taxi stop, trolley stops and bus stops. I would take a look at the Marriot Courtyard in the first instance. I'm guessing that a taxi from the Port or the airport would be no more that $20-25. It is too far to attempt Sawgrass Mills without a car and anyway it would take up a full day of your two day stay. You could catch the water taxi to Las Olas Boulevard and have a look at the speciality shops there or you could go to the Galleria Mall. The other alternative would be to take a look at the hotels on SE17th Street, closer to the port but quite a hike from the beach. The area around the Harbor Shops has a good selection of restaurants, again you could get the water taxi/trolley to get around.

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside Hotel
Oceanside Hotel
392 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Bahia Mar Fort...
4,357 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Water Taxi
Water Taxi
5,485 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sawgrass Mills
Sawgrass Mills
8,254 Reviews
Sunrise, FL
Las Olas Boulevard
Las Olas Boulevard
5,833 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

Sue's suggestions are great but I'm thinking that the hotels on 17th street may be slightly less expensive than the ones on the beach seeing that you intend to be here around the Christmas holidays.

If you stay on 17th street, the Harbor shops are nice and there are lots of restaurants around the hotels there. As well, the Sun Trolley picks up passengers at Harbor Shops and will take you to the beach. At 50 cents a ride, it's a bargain!!

Mentioned in this post
Sun Trolley
Sun Trolley
1,173 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
G.R. , MI
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

Abbysmemere, could you tell me if there is anything w/in walking distance to do by the Sleep Inn? Shopping or restaurants? Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,899 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

Not much near the Sleep Inn. It is across the street from a small . older strip mall that has a Publix Grocery in it, so you could get snacks, sodas, wine and beer. There is also a Walgreens Drugstore right on the corner. The only restaurant I have personally been to in that strip is Pancho's Backyard, a small Mexican/Cuban place that had good and reasonable food, but that was a few months ago and as it was new and small I am not positive it is still there. There may be small Italian place within walking distance and possibly something Chinese. The strip mall itself does not seem to attract prosperous people so nothing at all upscale is there. If you want to entertain youself precruise or have wide choice of dining ,that is not the place to be without a car. generally speaking , the lack of things to do nearby is why places like the Sleep Inn are lower in price and offer free shuttle to the airport and cruiseport. The ones with more dining and shopping nearby ( like on 17th ST) don't usually provide free shuttles and are usually higher priced. If you were just coming in teh night before , wanted a light , free breakfast and maybe pick upa few sundries , then off on your cruise, it would work. For a few days and with no car it would not be a good choice in my opinion. At that time of year, and to get something suitable, you will find high prices and many places booked already. You might look at Best Western Oceanside- no free shuttle , but much more to do, though you would need to provide taxi fare( about $20 FLL to Hotel, less than $15 I suspect hotel to port). be careful about many other "budget" beach area hotels- many are really bad in upkeep.

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside Hotel
Oceanside Hotel
392 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,362 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

Be seriously cautious of anything in Fort Lauderdale which is cheap, it normally equates to dump. If you would like a list of good budget places on the beach please re-post but here's a list of cheap places to avoid like the plague, Avalon, Tropic Cay, Sea Club, Days Inn Bahia Cabana, Sans Souci, Birch Patio, Napoli Belmar.

You may like to take a look at my favourite the Cocobelle if you want a budget stay.

www.CocobelleResort.com

What you see on the web site is what you will get but do bear in mind that it is at the quieter end of the beach and you will be talking a 10 minute walk to get to a restaurant, apart from the Deck at the Sea Club which can be reached in about 5 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Sea Club Resort
Sea Club Resort
803 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bahia Cabana Beach Resort
Bahia Cabana Beach Resort
312 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Birch Patio Motel
Birch Patio Motel
201 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Napoli Belmar Resort
Napoli Belmar Resort
358 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cocobelle Resort
Cocobelle Resort
432 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,899 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

I did check Google maps around the Sleep Inn and there are a small Itlain place and a Hunan Chinese restaurant. Nothing else but those and Panchos listed as restuarants near theere. Haven't been to any of them but Panchos. It was good, but it is small and new , so I don't know how it will fare over the long tourist slow summer. I do hope it sticks around , as I'd liek to go back. Not sure that will be enough choices to keep you occupied for a few days though.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,899 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

Sue, what was that other small, clean place you mentioned seeing near the Cocobelle- did it have Coconut in the name ? I just can't bring it to mind- maybe that would be a choice too?

Mentioned in this post
Cocobelle Resort
Cocobelle Resort
432 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
VA
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-cruise hotel area

Suewick; You seem to know your stuff. What about the Bahia Mar as both a pre-cruise one nighter and a post-cruise 3-4 nighter. I know it is old but as long as it is clean it seems like such a great deal!

Mentioned in this post
Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Bahia Mar Fort...
4,357 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL