We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

Flew via Zoom Airlines direct to FT using their premium economy.

My view: terrific. Comfy seats and loads of alcohol. Both ways I had nobody sitting beside me which gives you such a feeling of space- better I think than a so called superior service. No seat back TV's, which I suppose is important if you like watching films. Otherwise, use Zoom- cheaper than Virgin who only fly to Miami (and the taxi to FT costs c £50).

I stayed in an appartment close to Dania Beach, so no tips on hotels I'm afraid. Other comments:

a) weather

Went in July. Baking hot. Temperature in Miami (see later) 101 degrees. Loads of suncream required. During the rainy season you can get lucky or unlucky with the weather. I am told that during the 2 days before I arrived a tropical storm had poured down on FT (subsequently leaving c 4 inches of rain on Carolina). Whilst I was there (a week) a hurricane hi Texas and another hit Cancun (just south of Florida). Whilst I was in FT, we had one thunderstorm (at night- which woke me up). So I was lucky. During the day, it was baking!. Hotter than the Caribbean, Asia or Queensland! Trust me! So I was v Lucky.

Other comments.

Fort Lauderdale Beach is lovely. Pure white sand. Too many complete plebs still stub their cigarette out on the sand, which is a pity. Not too many swimming in the sea. I am told the Missisippi dumps a load of chemicals in the sea not too far north which may explain it.

Decent eateries

Hooters. Forget the size of their knockers. A bucket of shrimps (we call them king prawns in the UK) is delicious and cheap.

Bubba Shrimp. Also on FT Beach. The food is great (the shrimps, ribs and sea bass). The service is terrible. They served my wine in a tumbler because they told me they did'nt have any wine glasses- can you believe that!!

Coco's

Apparently an "Asian fusion" restaurant. Avoid. Ludicrously expensive. I can cook better Thai (red curry is not supposed to be the hottest curry you do). PS, why are Americans so overweight? Answer: this restaurant does deep fried cheesecake and deep fried ice cream as puddings! Aside from the fact that this was supposed to be an asian restaurant, how can you lot eat deep fried ice cream?!

Did a day and a night in Miami. Stayed in L<oews Hotel on South Beach. Perfect. Great location, swimming pool scene, and right on the beach. Interestingly, many people swimming in the sea here (far more than FT). Places to eat:

Johnny Rockets

Right on the beach. Great chocolate milk shakes (but the food is a bit calorific)

Big Pink

At the bottom of Collins Avenue. Had been here previously. Take a big appetite- they expect you to take a doggy bay away afterwards.

Other tips

Hire a convertible. It makes travelling so much kore pleasant. If the car has satelite radio (no commercials) tune into the Pulse station- great American rock.

For shopping, you must visit Sawgrass Mills Mall. I went there twice. All clothes shops have amazing sales, particularly for those of us over from the UK.

For instance, in GAP, all chinos c £11. In Nike, proper running shirts c £12 (but beware of sizes- in UK I am a medium. In US I was a small- even some of them were too big). In UK the Asics Gel Nimbus running shoe is c £95. In Sawgrass the best price I saw was 115 US dollars (OK, I am a runner!)

Unleaded petrol in the US is c 4.20 dollars per gallon, and they complain. In the UK we are paying over twice that!

Enjoy FT! I did.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

Glad to hear that, all in all, you had a great time.

But you said, "Fort Lauderdale Beach is lovely. Pure white sand. Too many complete plebs still stub their cigarette out on the sand, which is a pity. Not too many swimming in the sea. I am told the Missisippi dumps a load of chemicals in the sea not too far north which may explain it."

Next time visit the Gulf Coast of Florida (the West coast) then you will see what white sand is really like. LOL. And the part about the Mississippi, whoever said that is a bit off on the geography. The Mississippi does not exit into the East coast of the USA, but rather the Gulf Coast. And even so, it's effects are not evident along the middle Gulf coast of Florida - hundreds of people are in the water every Summer.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

Just to avoid confusion- Is that Johnny Rockets on the beach down in Miami somewhere?- because I didn't know we had one up here..If not, I'll have to look for it.

So sorry Coco's was not to your liking - it is someplace I like quite a bit. I think perhaps here in Florida our taste for true Asian food may not be as developed, so a "fusion" style is perhaps more acceptable to us than to you. You might feel the same about the Indian restaurants here if you try them.

I personally don't go for fried ice cream - but it is very popular as dessert in the US - though more often found in Mexican restaurants- though I am sure not an authentic choice there either. I don't know what desserts really would be authentic in Asian cuisine. I was given red bean ice cream in one place - and didn't care for it. At Coco's I had a simple dessert of coconut ice cream and really thought that ( not fried) was delicious.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

Lulu -

Johnny Rockets is in Miami. I think the only one up in FLL is in Seminole Paradise.

We're on the same wave length when it comes to Coco's and I'm sorry the OP didn't like it. Guess that's why God created choices so there's something for everyone's palate.

Ohio
Level Contributor
515 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

Yeah, not sure what part of FTL Beach you went but it's packed every weekend where I live and see plenty of people swimming.

Sarasota has the best beaches sand wise with the Fla Panhandle a close 2nd.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

I think I must miss a lot when I visit Fort Lauderdale. I thought the sand was yellow rather than white - it's white on the Gulf Coast from memory. I've never noticed large amounts of cigarette buts on the beach either. Nor have I noticed lots of fat Americans in Fort Lauderdale, however if I don't start my diet soon you'll all notice a fat Brit in Fort Lauderdale in October LOL.

I have never eaten in Coco's and I am no expert on Thai food, so I can't comment but I have found that Chinese restaurants in the US (which are not in a China Town) do tend to be "fusion". I like it because it's different to what we get in the UK. I wouldn't bother eating in a Indian restaurant in the US unless there was no other choice, we have zillions of cheap Indian Restaurants in the UK.

I see the OP got lots of bargains at Sawgrass and gas is still cheap by comparison to UK prices - bring it on!!!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

Since I'm the Destination Expert I'm hijacking this thread to let Sue ( or anybody else) know that there is a site ( actually more than one) that lets you make your own personal "countdown clock" for any special event.

www.7is7.com/otto/countdclock.html

is one I'm playing with to make my countdown to Las Vegas

Once I get it figured out I'll have to insert it in my Vegas posts.

Sue- if you haven't got time , PM me the date and time your flight lands and I'll play with it! I saw in on someone else's post and thought "how cool!"

To get this back on topic , I agree with Sue that our sand is not white- sort of beige The white stuff is really in the Carribean and I guess in some beaches on the Gulf ( West ) Coast of FL- but if peopel expect white sand here they will be let down! Our "beige " beach is beautiful though!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

Aren't these count down clock things great? I post on a chatter type forum and made myself one there that appears as a signature, so I know it's 2 months 1 week and 4 days to go. WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

Cancun....just south of Flroida??.hmmm....I thought that was Cuba.....LOL

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

rotfl Chillin

It's 2 inches south on the little map in my desk diary!

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
281 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: feedback from first trip by a Londoner to Fort Lauderdale

I will just add that I am glad that LondonH added a trip report.

I wish more people would do the same.

Not to compare forums. I love this forum and the wonderful advisors that take their personal time to help folks like me.

But this site seems to get less feedback than another forum I am watching in preparation for my trip- and the bulk of my stay will be in Fort Lauderdale. (As a side note, another area vacation hot spot I am visiting probably has the least responsive forum I have run into yet. It is so bad I stopped reading it.)

Anyway, the trip reports really help people measure the results of advice and suggestions. Thus, making the info more useful and user freindly.

I know it takes a bit of effort, but I am sure the post will be well appreciated and received. For even bad reviews help to educate, alert, or highlight an issue so the experts can bring clarification to a matter.

Just my 2 cents.