We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

I see the great reviews. Just wondering, if I don't rent a car, are there stores and restaurants in walking distance? Is it easy to get around? Buses or shuttles? Or are cabs the best bet. We love to walk so that is not an issue. Thanks!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

If you like to walk, the the Hilton is a good choice. There are many restaurants within walking distance and you can also walk to the Galleria Mall for shopping. The Sun Trolley is a good choice for getting to and from Las Olas, although I have to say, that area seems to have become much quieter since our last visit.We didn't rent a car and had no problem finding places to eat during our 4 night stay (though we did take a cab one night). A bit longer and you might want a car.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

Thanks for answering. Are there breakfast place s to walk to? How about a supermarket? Anything else you can tell me about the hotel? I appreciate it so much.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

keep in mind that the Sun Trolley runs along the beach so you can take it to 17th Street and the Harbor Shops off of Cordova where there's a Publix grocery store.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

There is a breakfast place called The Deck not far from the Hilton - and the Hilton itself has both a high end restaurant with a somewhat pricey breakfast and also a newly opened bakery that I haven't tried - but which probably has delicious pastries.

A bit more of a walk a few blocks north is Primanti Brothers , a 24 hr "beach dive "/pizza and sandwich joint which has very good reasoable breakfasts if you don't mind casual/funky decor.

There has been another nice breakfast choice not far from that , a little St. Barts Coffee , which also serves full breakfasts, but on a quick trip along the beach the other day , I either missed it or it is gone - does anyone know? There is another St. Barts on the south end, but the one I'm wondering about is the one just south of Sunrise Blvd. I could have missed it somehow, but I did wonder and never got the chance to look again.

As Abby mentioned, there is no supermarket on or near the beach- just some rather overpriced convenience stores, but the Sun Trolly would take you across 17th St ( I think that particular Trolley only runs on weekends though.) A CVS Drugs was being opened in the Beachplace complex just north of Las Olas Blvd. and they typicaly have light groceries like soda, milk , snacks and packaged pastries, but I don't know if they are actually open yet.

the Sun Trolley that goes along teh beach and across Las Olas is a good way of getting around ( but no grocery store on Las Olas either- just 7-11 etc). An all day water Taxi pass is a slow but scenic way to get around as wwell- especially when you want to spend the whole day sightseeing by water- even up to Galleria Mall at the stop at gallery One Hotel. then you can use your all day pass to go out for dinner too.

Taxis are always available , but with the Trolley and city buses, your need for them should be minimal Your choices for getting from /to the Airport without a rental are a taxi or a shuttle. If there are two of you , you can split a taxi and it will be almost as cheap as a shuttle - if you are alone a shuttle would be cheaper for you, but a bit slower as it will stop along the way to discharge passengers. The GO van shuttle is parked outside every baggage claim and is walk up service- no reservation needed.

Boston
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

While staying at the Hilton, we did have breakfast one morning at the St. Barts closest to Las Olas and the beach. We did a lot of walking and I don't recall seeing a St. Barts closer to Sunrise but I suppose we could have missed it. We also had breakfast at the Deck. It was quite nostalgic as I believe that hotel used to be the Jolly Roger many years ago and we had stayed there on a Spring break trip. Anyway, the breakfast was very good for the price and the view was great. The Cafe at the Hilton had great sandwiches and pizza but I felt the breakfast menu was somewhat limited.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

I have the feeling the one up near Primanti's just didn't make it- it seems not to be listed on their website- just teh one further south-

http://www.stbartscoffee.com/about.html

If our good buddy here on the Forum, Sue gets back on line once she gets back from Las Vegas ( she went out for the Hatton fight, she might be able to tell us- as she stayed at Cocobelle in that general arae. Maybe Pat954 has been down that way also and knows.

We were so happy to see a new breakfast choice up that way and it took a moment for it to register that I seemed not to notice it and by then it was too late to go back fro confirmation- and Lara you are correct about the Deck - it was the Jolly Roger years ago I am pretty sure- my cousin her husband honeymooned there and it was a nice place . It is a shame that it is now the Sea Club- a very bad property that has been on "TA's 10 dirtiest in the US" list. The restaurant is independently owned I'm told. Somewhere in between the two the hotel was a Ramada Inn - it really is sad to see it's decline.

There is a lack of reasonable breakfast choices on the beach- I had heard that one restaurant in BeachPlace was open- maybe the Palms- can anyone confirm?

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

I had heard that Palms at Beach Place did breakfast but I don't know for sure it still does. CVS is open at Beach Place and is a good place to pick up some snacks and sundries at reasonable prices.

I also don't know about St. Barts. On my way to the airport I was concentrating on looking for Alhambra St. for another poster. From A1A I couldn't see the accomodation they were looking at.

I am not much of a breakfast person. I have heard that Coconuts does a decent brunch.

coconutsbahamagrill.com/images/…brunch.jpg

When I do want breakfast I usually head to Lauderdale by the Sea. From the Hilton you would take the public bus (route 11)North to Commercial. Walk 1 block East towards the Ocean and there are several places to try including one on the fishing pier. Lauderdale by the Sea is a very small, quaint beach town. I think it is worth a visit.

I think the bus is $1.50 or an all day pass is $3.00

I did note on my taxi ride to the airport a sign that there is a $2.00 surcharge for all fares that originate at the airport. Not for those going to the airport.

Enjoy your trip.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

I should have mentioned that is less than a 15 min. bus ride to Lauderdale by the Sea from the Hilton area.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

There is a small St Bart's on the same block as McSorleys, before you get to Primantis. They do bagels with lox and cream cheese. YUM.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach

That's the one we're wonderng about Sue- that location is no longer listed on the St. Barts website and when I went down the beach recently I was well past Mc Soreley's when I realized I didn't remember seeing St. Barts and I didn't have time to go back and look- maybe someone who goes down A1A south of Sunrise can look to see- I fear it is gone.