We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for Alligator?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for Alligator?

Which restaurants in Fort Lauderdale serve alligator, conch, and other Florida-type fare?

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

The best place would be 15th Street Fisheries in Fort Lauderdale. Pretty good food and a nice view of the water.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

My pick would be Islamorada Seafood in Dania- they have all those things ( and many more) individually or a sampler with conch fritetrs , alligator and a crab cake as an appetizer. I love their smoked wahoo dip too.

fishcompany.com/menus/IFC_Menu_Dania_Beach.p…

Alberta
Level Contributor
968 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

That menu looks so good. Is Dania Beach a far drive from say.....the Best Western Oceanside?

M

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

I suggest Alligator Alley on East Commercial Blvd --- between Dixie and Federal. for a locals' favorite with good food and music, also. It's very casual.

http://www.alligatoralleyflorida.com/

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

Dania Beach is actually a little town just just south of the Airport- Islamorada Seafood is just south of Grifin Rd just west of the next exit of I-95 south of the Airport where both the Outdoor World Superstore( which is connected to Islamorada Seafood) and The International Gamefish Museum are located- so if you are coming into FLL around lunch or dinner time you could combine the trip. I guess it's not all that far from BW Oceanside- go back west on 17th St the way you came in and then turn south on US1 from theer you can follow signs for I-595 west and get on I-95 south to the Griffin Rd. Exit - Islamorada Seafood is just west a couple of blocks- follow signs to TriRail - the station is in the same complex.

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

LuLu has made a very good recommendation. We have dined there several times over the years and enjoyed it each time. We usually choose to sit outside as that is what we prefer. They even have selections of non-seafood for those that don't like seafood.

It is really a short drive from the beach area of Fort Laudredale. We usually stay at Lago Mar and it is maybe a 15 minute drive. Here is a link to their menu.

fishcompany.com/menus/IFC_Menu_Dania_Beach.p…

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

If you follow Lulu's directions, just know that when you take the I-95 exit off of I-595, keep to the right as you won't actually get on I-95 as Griffin Road is the first exit.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

I just got back, and I went to both places. The Islamorada Fish Company was definitely the better place of the two. The Alligator Alley was a bit of "bit and switch." They didn't have most of the alligator items on the menu, and the only alligator item they had was fried alligator, which had strips so thin you definitely couldn't taste the alligator. The only good things I could compliment Alligator Alley on is their website, and their gumbo. Thanks for those who responded with the helpful suggestions! ;-)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

Thanks for beuing our taste tester- now I know to stick with Islamorada! Alligator Alley has good music at night though- note to self to order drinks, not food!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant for Alligator?

It isn't Florida cuisine , but when you come again ( you WILL come again , that's an order) drop by a place AwfulCat and I both love - the Shuck n Dive Cafe for great gumbo and wonderful fried green tomatoes- and amazing black n blue oysters and a gazillion other great things- it sounds like place you would like. I went by the other day for a cajun/creole "fix" and wanted to check and see if they happened to serve alligator , but didn't see it- but great stuff like soft shelled crab in season and wonderful blackboard specials- and oh chocolate bread pudding if you have room..

AwfulCat loves the place as well and for all the years we have both posted about it , he and I have never met- wouldn't it be funny if we have been sitting next to each other at the bar and never knew- I guess for the next few weeks ( sob) I should go in every day and yell" AwfulCat are you here?" sadly I think he may be relocating- and who will be our advisor on manly stuff like strip clubs , jazz and whether Audrey was fully clothed when she was proposed to? These are things that will never be known once he is gone ( it's a Mars /Venus thing..) We may have to ask TonyT to take up the slack- but there is only one AwfulCat ( what a guy, what a guy..)