We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

great lunch places...

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
great lunch places...

I'm down in Ft. Lauderdale every January.... and I always post a few questions before I arrive. Here's my latest one:

I arrive a few days before my BF (visiting relatives first) and the day he arrives I drive to FLL and pick him up, then we always go out to lunch somewhere.

Last year I went to a place that was recommended here by some and it was just ok, mostly not exactly what we were looking for and I have Celiac disease which means I can't eat any wheat at all (flour, breading, etc) and so to go to a place where they have lots of fried food doesn't work for me.

Ok so you can reference what we didn't like, the place last year as sort of near our hotel (Marriott Harbor Beach) off the 17th ST. Cway. It was on the intercoastal (I think, water anyhow lots of boats off the patio). A small shack sort of place, small parking lot in front, you enter and go thru the restaurant and get to a nice big outside eating area out back. It looked fun but wasn't for us.

Here is what we didn't like: the food was more spring break then Seasons 52, everything contained wheat, the server was hassled to have to go ask the cook what I could eat and came back with "plain salad no dressing", so it wasn't very fun for me. The table next to us was well into doing shots (at 11:45 am) and were so loud I couldn't hear my BF talk. My salad was terrible and my BF said his fried fish was ok, just fried fish.

We live far apart so we make all our visits very special and don't really want to waste much time with kids doing shots. We are in our early 50's (and honestly we are fun, we go to that place at the Galleria at night drinking and dancing - blue martini I think?) we like good food, expensive or not expensive either is fine (we have a few dives we go to in NYC all the time but the food at them is excellent), we would like a view... water would be good but Las Olas is ok, a pool would be ok, intercoastal is great, ocean is the best, but we'd like to be sitting outside so thats important.

Don't worry about the wheat thing... in most restaurants I don't have too much trouble, I can get fish, shellfish, steak, etc. Sorry to be so specific but I'm hoping to make it easier to come up with our first lunch spot.

Many thanks, Susan

Mentioned in this post
Galleria
Galleria
574 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: great lunch places...

IF you want something casual and relaxing, you might try Bimini Boatyard. It's on 17th Street Causeway just east of the Renaissance Hotel in the Quay Shopping Center. I love their cobb salad with the diane dressing!

Lulu had lunch at YOLO on Las Olas Boulevard (west of the tunnel overpass) last week and came away very pleased. It's new, but she said the menu was varied and the service was wonerful.

The Japanese Steakhouse is nice. It's also on Las Olas and is Benihana type of place where they cook the food in front of you.

Gosh - it's early for me to think of lunch, but I'm sure when others log on this morning, they'll all have some additional recommendations!

We're glad you keep coming back! Isn't GFL great? And there's such WONDERFUL people here LOL

Mentioned in this post
Las Olas Boulevard
Las Olas Boulevard
5,706 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: great lunch places...

Pixie, there is a new restaurant called H2O, that has outside dining overlooking the beach(on A1A).It is an upscale place, and has outdoor heaters if it happens to be cool. We had a very nice dinner there, and they serve lunch as well.

http://h2ocafe.net/index.html

Then there is always the SeaWatch further up by LBTS that is directly on the beach. I'm not sure if they are open for lunch or not.

Jody

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: great lunch places...

My parents owned a condo in Lauderdale from day one and after college I lived down there for a while too. Now I just visit at least once a year. My family is just up the coast in Stuart (which I also like).

Keep those ideas coming they are great so far, we have a lot of lunches and dinners to fill!

Susan

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: great lunch places...

Jody - I've got to try H2O. Lulu - have you been there yet?

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: great lunch places...

Abby-We really liked it there, and if you park in the garage behind the restaurant, they will validate your ticket and you get the whole amount back.My sister is in FLL now, staying at the Doubletree Gallery One.She was upgraded to an intracoastal view room, and so far the elevators are working just fine.

Lulu-my sister tried Pa Degennaro's last night with a restaurant.com coupon, and she loved it.

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: great lunch places...

Oh I just looked at the H2O website and it looks nice. Can you see the water? Was the food good (it sounds good)?

We might give that a try!

Thanks!

Susan

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: great lunch places...

H2O is across the street from the beach so if you sit outside you can see the ocean. I haven't tried it but I have heard that it is very good, I was told to watch the specials because the prices aren't listed and they are very pricey.

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: great lunch places...

Ok thanks for the tip! I like the appetizers on the regular menu they look good.

S!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,597 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: great lunch places...

Sounds like the destination that didn't work was Bahia Cabana- and they are heavy on the fried stuff etc..

Abby, I have not been to H2O yet , but it is on my radar fro the future( so many restaurants so little time) and I have heard it is owned by the same folks who own Casablanca Cafe next door- another good lunch spot with Ocean views.

I also thought about Coconuts, which is just a little north of Bahia Cabana and has patio dining on the Intracoastal, but I really would have to check teh menu as I can't recall what they have that in gluten free.

At YOLO several in our party ( not me) had a spinach, cranberry, chicken salad which they loved- I think they have asalmon salad too and they do have a daily fish ( it was mahi) and always have rotisierre chicken - though I am completely happy to get mine at the Pollo Tropical chain here - just a fast food place but oh that chicken ( Audreybella likes it as well).

Another thought on Las Olas is Wild East Bistro- Asian fusion I guess you could say- good stir fries, some vegetarian ones, and it overlooks a side canal - very pretty setting- I think AwfulCat , another poster here, likes it too- Abby that is one you'd love too I'm sure!

Hope you find just the right spot this time!

Mentioned in this post
Casablanca Cafe
Casablanca Cafe
4,299 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Coconuts
Coconuts
4,147 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale