We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pan e Dolci

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
105 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pan e Dolci

Hello all.

I recently visited Fort Lauderdale the end of December for a wedding. We stayed at Il Lugano hotel (still need to write my review). The best part of my trip was Pan E. Dolci, an Italian bakery on 3341 E Oakland Park Blvd. I know this is not exactly in a tourist area but I am posting this for you locals. I felt like i was in Italy again. If you have not tried this bakery please do. Wish i had a bakery of this kind in Toledo :(

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,965 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pan e Dolci

I agree and am lucky enough to live within walking distance. For me , memories of Rome start with a trip a few more doors west to Pizza Rustica for a giant slab of their pizza and then down to the bakery for a pastry , a gelato- or I confess, sometimes both! Those planning to try it should just know that they do not accept credit cards as far as I know, and that at times the employees are so genuinely Italian that communication is a challenge- lots of pointing usualy goes on and finally gets the job done. I love the place!!I think our frequent posters from New England - Harry, Sue and Jody- will chime in when they see this as they are devoted to it as well.

Wonder if you tried the new Da Campo- Todd English's new place at Il Lugano? I'm curious how it is and have peeked in , but so far I've resisted -since my Italian adventure just down the street is a fraction of their prices. But if you tell me it's worth the cost I'll give it a go... maybe..

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
105 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pan e Dolci

Your warning about communication with the staff is spot on and actually made us love the bakery that much more!! The bakery only accepts cash. We visited twice and I over indulged both days because i knew it would be a long time before i may return. They knew how to serve a true machiato and the biscotti and pannini were so fresh.

We did not try the new restaurant. We did not spend much time in the hotel as we were visiting with family most of the time but stayed at il lugano because the wedding and reception took place at the hermitage II.

Please have a machiato and biscotti for me :)

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pan e Dolci

I have yet to try Pizza Rustica, but did enjoy our trips to Pan e Dolci. After all I had to have a Gelato in LuLu's honor ;-)).

We're having a vertual heat wave here today, it got up to 34*! No snow for the first time in several days as well.

Our best to LuLu and Abbey. Hope to see you guys again on our next trip to FLL.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,965 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pan e Dolci

Harry, of course I take seriously my obligation to try every pastry and every flavor of gelato at Pan e Dolci to make sure I advise everyone well! Wouldn't a nice gelato hit the spot right now on your warm , sunny , snowless day in CT!??

Have you ever been over to Croissan'Time, the French bakery on US 1 just north of Sunrise? They have the best assortment of mini French pastries.. and all sorts of croissants.. add that to your list if you haven't tried it! I'm doing my best to work my way through their selections as well!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,965 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pan e Dolci

http://www.croissantime.com/

Might I suggest the apricot custard croissant for your snacking pleasure! And, get a load of those cakes- I think we will have to put candles in one for all of us next December, so pick a flavor...

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pan e Dolci

Thanks LuLu, just what I need another place to try in FLL ;-)). That bakery sounds good, I've added it to my places to go on our next stay. I was really disappointed in the french bakery that is on the lower level of the convention center.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,965 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pan e Dolci

Oh yes, I have heard that place is really the pits- I think you'll like Croissan'time- it has been there forever! Did you ever try Rendez Vous- on Oakland Park- around 18th I think? They are a casual French place , but I have only been teher for a few breakfasts crepes and a few salads- a really good endive /walnut salad- I know I sent our frequent poster Pat there and she is now a fan as well!

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pan e Dolci

The cappuccino at Pane E Dolci is good as well.

Croissant time sounds really good, and I think we should be able to agree on one of those yummy cakes for our birthdays(Lulu, you can count chocolate out, as I don't think Harry likes it.What is WRONG with that man's taste buds!)

I also want to try the beignet with chocolate custard.Wish I had remembered this place on my last trip, as I did have it saved as a place to try.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pan e Dolci

I like their cappuccino too.In fact, I am going to head over there right now for a cup. I have heard that the expresso is very good too but I can't handle that much caffine anymore.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pan e Dolci

Pat, you sure know how to make a grown woman cry:-))