We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt Pier 66

Portsmouth UK
8 posts
Save Topic
Hyatt Pier 66

Hi, i will be staying in Fort lauderdale mid week for 2 nights in Feb(pre cruise). I am thinking of staying in the Pier 66, is this a wise choice and what is there nearby to keep me occupied during the day

Thanks

Andy

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt Pier 66

Sounds like a fine choice to me! There is a Water Taxi stop at their marina , so if you have a nice day, it's just $13 pp for an all day pass- see the town by water hoping on and off as much as you like and go out again for dinner if you choose- all for one price.. There are lots of nice restaurants all along your street and the pool area at the Hyatt is nice too. I have heard , but don't know for certain , that they have their own shuttle to the beach for their guests( I'd appreciate it if you would verify that for us) - if not , you can catch a city bus right across the street- or the free Sun Trolley which usually runs on weekends- or if a convention is in town. It will take you to the beach area just minutes away. We do like sitting and watching the sun set at the Marina Bar ( Pelican), Their beer and wine are somewhat over priced, but I guess it's the view you really get charged for - and being able to watch all the boats zipping by. You'll enjoy just strolling their marina- usually a few large vessels tied up- I particularly like the enormous sailboats that seem to stop there.

Mentioned in this post
Water Taxi
Water Taxi
5,268 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sun Trolley
Sun Trolley
1,156 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Pelican Hotel
Pelican Hotel
1,268 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Portsmouth UK
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt Pier 66

Many thanks for your help, the water taxi sounds like a good idea,lets hope the weather will be good.I also like the sound of the marina bar, do you know if it is far from the hotel?

regards

Aandy

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt Pier 66

The Marina is part of the hotel complex itself- they do a big business in folks who moor their luxury yachts and such there and we enjoy the brief walk through that area looking at vessels we will never afford and then a drink at the Pelican Bar which is on the second level of the marina dock where the Water Taxi stops- it is an easy stroll from the hotel building proper. As I mentioned , the bar seems a bit pricey for drinks served in paper cups, but we can't fault the view a boats come up the Waterway- and on some nights , right about dusk , you get the vantage point of a cruise ship pulling out from the Port. They also serve light food there- burgers etc- once again on paper plates . The hotel itself has several other eating /drinking venues. I've enjoyed lunch at the poolside as well and there is a high end restaurant with patio dining ,Grille 66 ,and another restaurant choice inside the building- but many of us look forward to outdoor dining when we can- and with luck the weather will be as beautiful as today( mid 70's high) and you can enjoy that as well.

Mentioned in this post
Water Taxi
Water Taxi
5,268 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt Pier 66

I hope you do try the Water Taxi while you're in Ft. Lauderdale. It's well worth the price of the ticket. Some of the Water Taxi's have opening windows while others are open air. You'll get to see how the Rich and Famous live on the intra coastal.

Mentioned in this post
Water Taxi
Water Taxi
5,268 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
5. Re: Hyatt Pier 66

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 18:19