We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

Here's the dilemma: We're a family of 5 arriving at FLL after midnight. Our hotel is the Marriott Harbor Beach, which isn't too far from the airport and we have free parking with our reservation. Unfortunately, the rates quoted by ALL the rental companies for that Easter break are sky-high. Do we take a cab/cabs to the hotel and try and rent in the morning off-site? I've hear the Marriott has a car rental on site, but even they slap on a surcharge. It sounds like the trolley is a bit of the walk and the so is the water taxi. We don't want to be stranded at this hotel. What should we do?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

I'd take the taxi in from FLL to start ( about $20 I'd guess). While it is bit of a walk out of Harbor Beach onto A1A to the trolly and Water Taxi I think it really is doable in our pleasant weather. You might see how you do with that. I'll bet for the first day or so you'll be more than happy just to explore your resort. If you should need a car once you try the walk , you could probaly explore some of the off airport options. Your resort is a bit secluded, but not nearly as mucha s Lago mar further south of it, wher a car is really a necessity. I think I'll see if I can find a walking distance for you on Google maps and re post it FYI.

Rental cars are sky high everywhere it seems - someone on theLas Vegas Forum claims it has because both the credit tightening and the lack of car sales has made it difficult for rental car companies to obtain and then turn over their fleet as they used to- and the higher costs are being passed on. I don't know if that is true, but it seems to be a complaint on many other Forums besides this one- and I think if you can manage without a car ( maybe an occasional taxi ride) you would be well served.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

Google maps has the walking directions from that Marriott to the Sheraton Yankee Clipper ( closest hotel on A1A across from the Water Taxi stop and on the trolley route) as .2 miles and a three minute walk. I think you should see if hoofing it is an option and use trolley , water taxi and regular taxi as needed. If you want to go far afield ( like Sawgrass Mills or the Everglades) a one day rental would work.

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

.2 miles would be an easy walk. I don't know what some of these people are complaining about, if that is the case. It sounds like you've just solved our dilemma. Compared to our Ft. Lauderdale trip last year, air fare is down, hotel rates are down, but rental cars are at least 50% higher.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

Go to the Budget website and try using code(BCD #) x797726

new york
Level Contributor
34 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

That code is fantastic, what are the requirements?

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

None that I know of. I was told to make reservation ,use code and print confirmation. I'm sure you can also call Budget and see what they tell you. IF there was any other type of requirement it would let you know .

Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

Has anyone used this code yet?? It is fantastic, but I'm a little worried they may ask where it originated from or worse yet, ask for some sort of proof of association membership. I did go ahead and book it, but I'd love to find out where this code came from just in case. Any info?? Thanks!

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

I havent used this code but I have used many codes in the past that I purchased on Ebay . Ive never been questioned at the rental counter.In fact they were impressed with the rate I got. If you go to the Orlando Florida forum You will probably find some one who used the code.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,780 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

Your location is not bad at all. Really two minutes from a water taxi stop and also bus stop.

Check on the internet for the cheapest car rentals in the city (try travelocity and carrentexpress.com) and companies like EZ Rent-a car or even Rent-a-Wreck (which is in Davies)

If you can't get a car at the airport take a cab to your hotel and check the next day. Public transportation is really dismal (one bus every half hour and almost no service on week-end. Plus the fare is $1.00 for each trip but without transfer so for small/ medium distances, without a car take a cab since you are 5 in your group (to go to the trendy section of Las Olas for example There is this kind of mini train that go from the beach to the public transport hub and/or the train station on(by Las Olas and Broward) but I never got the schedule right. Water taxis are expensive and more of a way to sightsee than to really move around. For longer trips ((I.e. Sawgrass Mills, etc. inquire at your hotel)

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Ft. Lauderdale taxi, bus, rental car experts out there?

Cigar, have you personally used that code? You know that saying, "too good to be true"? Well I'm thinking it must apply here. Those rates were 1/3 of the rate I got on several sites. An Expedia ad popped up so I'm wondering if it's tied to Expedia? Even so, it's 1/3 the Priceline and Hotwire quotes, too.