We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

Boston...
Level Contributor
147 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

Could anyone give us advice on which area would be good w/2 teen

girls. Want nice beach experience but would like walking distance to shops, restuarants, be able to eat lunch at beach, Also considering

N. Miami Beach but didn't want it to be too busy of an area.

Thanks.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

I personally prefer Deerfield to Pompano- the area around Pompano Beach is 'in transition" and lots of businesses are closed. I don't find it particularly attractive or interesting these days Not much shopping though in either area , except souvenir shops and swimwear shops. More interesting restaurants on the beach in Deerfield by far than in Pompano..

Boston...
Level Contributor
147 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

Thank you, that helps a lot. Just what I was wondering.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

While both beaches are very nice, I agree with Lulu that Deerfield has much more accessible (walkable) places near the beach. Enjoy your stay!

Mequon WI
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

I agree that Deerfield is best suited to what you are looking for. Both Pompano and Deerfield have wonderful beaches, but Deerfield is a more lively environment with more happening at the beach. Another nearby area with lots of activity at the beach is Lauderdale-by-the-sea. My husband and I spend time in Pompano Beach each year. If we were to go elsewhere in the Ft Lauderdale vicinity, it would be Lauderdale-by-the-sea.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

I agree that LBTS can be a great are for families with lots of little restaurants - including Aruba right on teh Ocean.

Be aware though, that the two largest hotels there are former chain hotels that lost/gave up their franchise and have become complete dumps- Lauderdale by the Sea Resort( former Holiday Inn) and Lauderdale Beachside ( former Clarion) are very substandard- so avoid them both- the reviews for them read like horror stories.

Boston...
Level Contributor
147 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

Thanks for the info. Could anyone recommend a hotel/mote/apt type accom. at

LBTS? We were also interested in Sunny Isles Beah, in N. Miami Beach and wonder if anyone can tell us about that area. Would it be safe to let the girls (16 yrs) walk around, etc. If we end up at Deerfiedl Beach we are going with the Embassy Suites.

Thanks.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

Embassy Suites Deerfield Beach is a beautiful place to stay! I really like the hotel.

Is there a particular reason why you're inquiring only about Deerfield Beach and Pompano Beach? I'm thinking there may be some great options on Fort Lauderdale Beach depending on what you're looking for and how much $$$ you want to spend. Let us know and we'll do our best to help you out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
147 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

We were originally interested in a somewhat quieter area than Ft. Lauderdale

but would welcome ideas on good places to stay. We are looking for a suite or 2 bdrm so we could have the bdrm and the girls could have the LR area or 2nd bedroom. I looked at some hotels in Ft. Lauderdale on the beach but it was too expensive to have to get 2 rooms.

Thanks

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

I think you'll feel more comfortable letting your teenage girls walk around Deerfield Beach over Ft. Lauderdale's beach area. My teenage daughter wasn't comfortable walking around Ft Lauderdale alone or with her younger brother.

Embassy Suites looks nice to me from the outside, but I think it is toward the south end of Deerfield and the shops, etc will be at least 4 to 6 blocks away. This hotel definitely attracts families. The public beach is right there and runs north quite a way.

LBTS is also attractive from a close proximity to everything, but is considerably more active, especially at night with a bar crowd.

I would try Deerfield Beach this trip and venture down to LBTS for Aruba's or Blue Moon for dinner and to check things out for another time.

10. Re: Which area to stay in - Deerfield or Pompano Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 05:16