We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lago Mar or Pelican

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lago Mar or Pelican

Ugh. I keep switching hotels. Lol. Only in my planning. I researched pricing and it seems prices drop dramatically at the start of June. It seems that I could afford the Lago Mar or Pelican. But which one?

The Lago Mar sounds great. But I read things like its dated. Reviews have NOT been that good for it the past year. They charge an extra 18% gratuity for everything. But they have free parking.

The Pelican sounds great too. It is a bit higher and it charges $20 for parking a day. That would make up for the Lago's 18% gratuity.

Tough decision. I will have a car. I also have a 7 year old? Which is the way to go.

And yes, we will spend lots of time at the pool.

By the way, whats this about the Pelican and the Sun Tower?

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lago Mar or Pelican

Having stayed at both my choice would definitely be Lago Mar. I really don't consider it dated and it has a much larger and nicer beach than Pelican. It has two pools, one of which is perfect for children since the deepest part is only 4'. There is a miniture golf course for the kids as well. As far as the 18% on any purchases it is easily made up by the fact they don't charge for parking or WIFI, have a businesscenter with computers to use and charge no resort fee like some other FLL hotels. The Sun Tower is a much older hotel next to the Pelican which allows you to use the Pelican amenities. The Pelican is no better located for restaurants or anything else than is Lago Mar. Lago is located in a much nicer residential type area.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lago Mar or Pelican

I love The Pelican and think it can be great for families, but I have to agree with everything Harry mentioned previously. The Lago Mar may be a better option for you. The Pelican is a smaller property with a smaller pool area. Look at the website and "what you see is what you get". The parking $ is in line with most hotels.

Lago Mar may seem dated to some, but to others the integrity of the place wins high praise.

Enjoy your trip and please post a follow up trip report if possible. Those are very helpful!

Michael

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lago Mar or Pelican

I've stayed at both, and would choose Lago over Pelican.Lago's pool area is much nicer and the grounds are beautiful.It has more of a tropical resort feel to it. Pelican is OK, but has no grounds and the pool is small. They do have a small lazy river, but Lago's 2 pools are better.

As for Lago being dated, just look at the pictures of the rooms on their web site and they are pretty accurate. The decor is a tropical Tommy Bahama style, which I personally like for a beach vacation.

The 1 BR suites at Lago have a kitchenette, so you can stop at Publix and grab some snacks and breakfast/lunch stuff.

If you do decide on Lago, they have quite a few room types, so if you let us know what type of room you want, we can tell you what to request a far as location.

California
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lago Mar or Pelican

Thanks, great info. It makes it a harder decision. What bothers me is that over the last year, the Lago reviews have been lackluster, but the Pelicans are almost always top. And I keep hearing that dated stuff. And that lazy river pool looks great. But Im glad you told me it was small.

Anyway, you guys have provided great information.

5. Re: Lago Mar or Pelican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 05:27