We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which day trip is worth it?

toronto
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which day trip is worth it?

Hello

We are coming to Fort Lauderdale for 4 days and would like to take a day trip (or two) as we have been to Fort Lauderdale many times before. We have some options that we would love an opinion on. Basically since we only have 4 days, we want to ensure that it's really worth it!!

Here are our ideas for day trips:

Miami (South Beach)

West Palm Beach

Key Largo

Naples

Marco Island

any feedback as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

My vote goes for South Beach Miami.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

My vote is Key Largo if you want to snorkel, otherwise South beach.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

My vote is for Islamorada (just south of Key Largo).

If you go to South Beach you will see hotels, shops, etc., just like in any other resort, only with more pretentiousness.

However, by going into the upper Keys you will see nature like you've never seen it before. You'll see the Gulf of Mexico on the right side of the road and the Atlantic on the left side. True it is much quieter than glitzy South Beach, but at least it is "real".

toronto
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

Do you think we can do south beach and islamadora in one day since south beach would be on our way back to fort lauderdale??

please advise!

toronto
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

Can somebody tell me what the highlights from all of these possible day trips??? just trying to take into consideration the interests of our group and what would be the best one(s) for us

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

Morningstar in Key Largo can take six people sailing and/or snorkeling.

A drive to Islamorada for lunch in order to see and experience a little more of the keys.

You can stop at South Beach on your way back. Be sure to take the expessways and stay off hwy 1 into Miami (way too slow).

I assume you've seen the Everglades.

davie florida
Level Contributor
254 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

Drive to John Pennekamp State park in key largo and take a snorkel trip....its approx 85 miles south of Ft lauderdale via the Turnpike extension to Florida City and then US 1 into key largo....there are morning and afternnon snorkel trips....approx $30 per person including equipment.....then on your way home stop in So Beach to have dinner or drinks....South beach the Hip scene does not come alive until after 10 PM....

toronto
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

just a question...we dont snorkel or scuba dive....can we sail only in key largo/islamorada??

toronto
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

also, is it worth the drive to naples/marco island?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
705 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which day trip is worth it?

bride, I asked about making a day trip to Marco Island in that forum. You might want to look there to see the answers to my question.