We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stone crabs

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nyc ny
Level Contributor
48 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
stone crabs

comming down for the next 2 weeks. are stone crabs still in season. if so wheres the best place for them in ft lauderdale

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stone crabs

Yes! Stone crab are in season from October 15 to May 15.

Suggest you have them at Seafood World where they won't be quite as pricy as at some other restaurants.

Seafood World, 4602 North Federal Highway, Lighthouse Point, FL

(954) 942-0740 It’s on the east side of Rt. 1 (which is Federal Hwy) between SE 10th St. and Sample Rd.). From the coast, access is via E. Atlantic Blvd. and go north on Rt.1. From I 95 go east on Sample, then north on Rt. 1.

Seafood World is a cozy, very clean, seafood market and restaurant. There are three rooms with tables. Get a table in the farthest room from the front for peace and quiet. When meal time comes there will be a crowd of people waiting inside near the front door for tables. This is a very popular restaurant. Prices are moderate.

Stone crabs are very good, and very expensive. An appetizer of three “large” stone crab claws was $18 (Feb. 2010); expensive but undoubtedly cheaper than at Joe‘s Stone Crab!. They are served well cracked and the meat is not hard to get out of the shell. Order the “large” size crabs for a good ratio of meat to shell. When we were there the claw sizes available were medium, large, jumbo, and colossal. The stone crab and other seafood is of good quality at this restaurant and properly handled.

The Key lime pie was very good there too!

Enjoy!

Spirit

Florida
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stone crabs

If you're looking for a place located in Ft. Lauderdale proper, try the 15th Street Fisheries:

http://www.15streetfisheries.com/

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stone crabs

I hate to bring bad news but also be prepared for HIGH prices. This season has seen a severe shortage of claws. The only exceptions really are restaurants that have their own boats, etc. Love to know what you find and for how much.

Toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stone crabs

Truluck's at the Galleria has an all-you-can-eat on Mondays that is a pretty good deal (for stone crab!)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stone crabs

Prices are high. I personally recommend getting them at any fish market or at the Publix supermarket seafood counter- all stone crabs are sold precooked and chilled( they are cooked on the boat as soon as caught>) If you prefer them hot, the market will steam them for you. Just be sure to ask them to give them a good cracking- you'll never get into them if they forget to really whack them- and buy some mustard sauce too. You can enjoy them back at your hotel room with a beer - and you will get them for half the price of a restaurant dinner ( or you can order twice as many!) I love Seafood World too, but I think my appetizer sized serving of three larges was $40- many restaurants charge $70 or so fora dinner serving depending on the size. I think Trulucks is $49 for the all you can eat ( Mondays only) and they have 'date night " dinner for two special nightly where stone crabs ( a modest but good serving) can be chosen as an entree along with an appy choice for each person and a shared dessert for, I think ,$35 pp-my only objection is a shared dessert- me - share dessert?? What are they thinking!?

I like the stone crabs at Islamorada Fish' bar too along with a nice glass of Pinot - but in deference to the high price, I usually order an appetizer serving ( three or four claws) and have conch chowder or a basket of grouper fingers to round things out! They are pricey them crabs...but I prefer them to lobster!! As may 15 rolls around I usually find them in shorter supply- especially the larger sizes - if I ever win the lotto I'll try an order of colossals!

NJ
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: stone crabs

You've got to go to Catfish Dewey. Every night is 'all you can eat' stone crabs. I think they come in two or three different sizes ie: med,large and gumbo--they are priced accordingly. It's an off the beat place(Andrews Ave between Commercial and Oakland) but the crabs are great and they just keep comin!

7. Re: stone crabs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 05:16