We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

Staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach in less than 2 weeks and not planning on renting a car. Sounds like we can get by with taxi's. Is there anything within walking distance for meals or bars, clubs? Is it a safe area to stroll around (we are two women)?

Any tips, hints or recs are welcome.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

Bumping to try and get replies.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

I was hoping someone who stayed there recently would reply, but since they haven't I'll say that it is perfectly safe . You have to walk a short distance up their access road to the main beach road ( A1A) which is lined with restaurants and bars , but I thinki t would be perhaps 1/3 mile at most. Once on A1A there are lots of walkable places and on Friday- Sunday the red and yellow Sun Trolley can be used to go up and down the beach , along with taxis and the city bus. That Marriott has a high end restaurant called 3030Ocean and has recently opened another more casual waterfront restaurant that I haven't been to yet. The Sheraton Beach right near it has steakhouse , not great but ok , and also a new Mexican place that I have not tried yet. Bahia Cabana bar and grill is very casual and right across A1A ( I recommend the fish sandwiches, ribs and rum runners) and that isalso a Water Taxi stop- for $15 you can have an all day pass on Water Taxi and get to Las Olas Blvd which is "restaurant row" YOLO there is one happening place, down to 17th St ( more restaurants ) and up along the more northern end of the beach- if you get off at Gallery One Doubletree , you will be a block from Galleria Mall with a number of restaurants and bars. We local DE's have enjoyed Happy Hour there at Trulucks and at Blue Martini and also like Seasons 52 and PF Changs as well as Capital Grill at that Mall. I am sure you will be fine.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

Thanks for the info. Ate at YOLO last time I was in Ft. L. Seemed like it could be a happening place, but the food was not "all that". However - you mentioned a water taxi and I don't remember it being off the water. How do the water taxis work?

California
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

What kind of rate ya getting at the Marriott. It always seemed crazy high to me.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

YOLO is not on the water- but the Water Taxi does dock at Las Olas ( behind Mangos and there may be an additional stop as well - I have to double check as I've forgotten), so you can basically walk the Boulevard and choose from a number of eating places. There are two new ones that have just opened further west than YOLO across the street from one another, one Italian and the other Greek, but I have not tried either yet.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

If you like Asian Fusion cuisine , this is one place I like on Las Olas - and it is on a small side canal- I like both the food and the setting.

http://www.wildeastbistro.com/

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

My friend booked us an ocean front room, but I had checked and they were running a special - stay two get the third free - that made it the best higher end hotel available. And trust me, I checked them all. I'm a hotel snob, but a frugal one. I would have loved to stay at the RC - but it was over $400/night!

work
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

Are there any hotels on this blvd?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

Do you mean Las Olas Blvd? Only one hotel - Riverside Hotel- an independently owned "smaller " hotel. Two comments though- it was supposed to undergo a major expansion , which last I knew had been put on hold- but I haven't been by to see if anything is being done- all the stores/restaurant in the area around it were closed to make way for the expansion. There are still plenty of shops and restaurants across the street and on other blocks- and it is convenient to a Water Taxi stop.Secondly, if you do look into Riverside , be aware that the least expensive rooms and many offered to Priceline and other "discount" reservations are the smaller rooms in the older section . Some people have no problem with them and say the small size and older plumbing is like a B&B room , but other people seem very disappointed. The room they were probably looking at on the website and expected to get was likely one of the more expensive , upgraded Executive Tower rooms. If you reserve , be sure you know what type of room you are getting for your price.

Also, if you put great importance in a pool area , I would say Riverside is not your best choice. The pool is small and not very special- some advertising shots I have seen make it look bigger and fancier than it seems to me in person.

I also feel Las Olas is a better are for restaurants than for serious shopping. There are some cute boutique type places - and my favorite Kilwins candy and ice cream store, but those who have long shopping lists will not be able to find a wide selection of choices . It is chock full of restaurants of all kinds.

Also be aware that the restaurant section of Las Olas Blvd is quite far west of the area of the Boulevard that is on the beach- the beach is not really walkable from the hotel or most restaurants. It's a charming street though - and the first place I had lunch years ago when I moved here. I loved it then and still do!

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott Harbor Beach-what's nearby?

Lulu-just to let you know, we did get to Kilwins on Las Olas to get our ice cream fix.Seems I just can't get out of there without getting an ice cream sundae!