We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gaines
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

Hi Everyone~

I plan to book a hotel in a beach area. I'd greatly appreciate your suggestions as to . We are 2 adults with 1 infant. We prefer a more natural, quieter beach area that has beautiful water color. Any beaches came to mind?

We'll be flying into Ft Lauderdale on May 24th and flying out May 29th. I already booked a hotel in Key West for 25th. I heard about how beautiful Key West is. I'm debating whether I should spend the majority of time down in Key West instead. But we don't have a big budget. Everything (hotel, activities, etc) are so much more expensive there. Is the extra $$ worthwhile?

Thank you very much.

Edited: 06 May 2010, 19:21
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

Key West is beautiful and quaint ( we go annually) but the beaches there are not very nice due to it's reef positioned there- and if you post this on the Key West Forum , many locals will confirm that it is not a good place for beaches- he sand areas are small ( they have to be man made) and there is lots of rock in the water- you have to wear beach shoes to avoid cutting your feet when you swim. There is also a significant amount of very smelly seaweed often washed ashore. I'd d suggest you post in that Forum if you haven't already before you plan to spend a majority of your beach time there.

Also, you really need to keep an eye on that oil slick which some project will affect both our beach and the Keys in coming weeks- it is to early to tell as the path is based on currents that change .- but I could not let you mention a beach vacation without alerting you to that possibility- all of us are watching and waiting at this point with emergency beach clean up plans being discussed.

Even without the oil slick concern , if the beach is your major focus of your trip , you really need to plan to spend only a short time in Key West and come further north to find a beach you and your child can happily use.

Beautiful water color is more often found on the Gulf side of Florida than here on the Atlantic Ocean side- but once again , the oil slick could affect those beaches too- no one knows. Sanibel Island comes to mind as a pretty , natural beach area. You can get an idea of our beach by going to www.sunny.org and looking at the live web cam. It is a pretty beach , but you will not find the turquoise water and snow white sand here- ocean water is not like that. Many families enjoy our beach , but it would not be what you seem to be envisioning. It is hard to advise anyone about Florida beaches right now- impossible to predict what they will be like in 2-3 weeks.

Florida
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

For the type of beautiful water color and quiet beaches you are interested in, you would probably need to take about a 1-hour plane ride from the Ft. Lauderdale area to the northern Bahamas (the Abacos), which is what we do. It is however, definitely more expensive than FL.

Gaines
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

Yes the oil spill is making the whole trip planning very difficult. We are hoping for the best but ready for the worst-canceling our trip, which means a $200 loss so far.

Hotwire has the following areas for Ft lauderdale (incomplete list)

North Ft Lauderdale area (Quieter Residential area)

Lauderdale-by-the-sea (laid back fishing village)

Pompano Beach

Deerfield Beach

Miami Beach north (might be urban, crowded)

Coral springs

Hollywood International Airport FLL

I put some info that I found in the apprantices. Any comments on any of the areas? If we stay at in the airport area, is it convenient to go to the beach?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

Coral Springs is a residential area about 20 miles west of the beach. I have to be frank and tell you that many people have had some horrible rundown hotels given to them off Hotwire for this area - cleanliness does not seem to be a criteria they use- I'd really hesitate to use it if a small child is involved- some of the north beach hotels they use are awful.. even with their alleged three star ratings.

The area of the Airport will not put you near the beach either. I would so recommend that you chose a hotel whose name you know and can read reviews of before booking.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

Lulutoo is absolutely correct when describing the Keys and its beaches (or lack thereof).

I wouldnt cancel your trip just yet. Keep a watch on the news and the weather forecast to see how the Gulfstream is moving. I would tend to agree that the Keys area probably will have some "oil" effects. The east coast (crossing my fingers) wont be effected as badly. However, things can change quickly.

Stay away from the Coral Spings area. I cannot comment on hotels via Hotwire in that area, but you will be quite a distance from the beach and the last thing you want on your vacation is unnecessary traveling. Remember you will be coming into town when our "tourist" season is ending and good deals can start to be found. Plus the oil might frighten some people away and haggling for a deal might be pretty easy.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

I wanted to clarify that it was not just the Coral Springs Hotwire choices I am concerned about- this is one that is in the Lauderdale by the Sea/ North beach area that is very bad- and that some folks mention that could not leave because they "paid in advance through an online site"

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d84418-R…

Ther are several others of the same type that peoplehave complained about getting in the past through Hotwire- the Avalon would be another really unsatisfactory choice. I just would not leave it to Hotwire to assign my hotel in this market- this is our slower season and you can often find good rates on a hotel's own website or even on Expedia etc - if you know the hotel name and can research it in advance.

I do have to say that if I arrived and found such an unsatisfactory hotel, I personally would leave it anyway and go elsewhere- I can't imagine spending a vacation surrounded by mold, rust and /or vermin. But perhaps others feel trapped.

Venis , what is your best guess about how long it will take for us to get some accurate sense of whether the oil slick will get into the "Florida Loop?" It has been rather silent in the media in the last few days about prognostication of the path- I guess news stories are focusing right now on whether the "cap" can stop additional outflow. I just wonder at what point folks can breathe a teasier. There is a poster on another Forum who is enraged that a hotel on St. George Island on the west coast will not refund her deposit- but other posters there tell the poster it is not in the path of the spill at all and so they should not have to do so- there does seem to be some over reaction going on in some markets- I'm trying to find a happy medium between informing people and alarming them.

Edited: 07 May 2010, 22:05
FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

If you're really inclined to use hotwire, I suggest looking at betterbidding.com, where a list has been compiled so you will be able to narrow down which hotel it is considerably. You can also match tripadvisor ratings on hotwire to tripadvisor ratings on tripadvisor for some added certainty. Personally I wouldn't want to travel to/from Coral Springs either. Just my dos pesos.

Gaines
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

Thank you very much for your input! Yes I begin to feel a bit uncomfortable about not knowing the hotel name or reading reviews. I wouldn't have cared as much before but now that I'm having an infant, I want to make sure where we stay is absolutely safe and clean. Besides, we need to make sure we have access to a microwave and mini-refridge to warm up baby food too. Thank you all for your caution. I'll look for more information as to where to stay. Thank you!

9. Re: Fort Lauderdale Beach Areas help and Lauderdale or key west?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 03:16