We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!! Vacation with older teens

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
HELP!! Vacation with older teens

What part of Fort Lauderdale on the ocean is the best place (and safest) for a family with older teens? I was thinking of the Hilton. But I want to make sure its in the better (safer) part of the city because the teens will be wanting to wander around.. all recommendations will be greatly appreciated. We will be wanting to parasail, banana boats, shopping, fishing, etc. Typical ocean activities. Thanks!!!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

All of the beach area is safe providing you take the normal precautions you would in any big city.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

As sue said the beach area is safe as can be. There isn't too much within walking distance of the HIlton though (or most of the beach hotels besides the Ritz, Mariott Beach Place Towers, Mariott Courtyard) ... The Galleria Mall is about a 5 minute cab ride and Beach Place is about 5-6 blocks from the HIlton.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

SoBe4U and Suewick are correct. The busiest part of the beach (i.e. most commercialized) would be more towards the central part by Las Olas Boulevard. There are restaurants, some shops, etc. Any beach, at night, thats poorly lit, is always asking for trouble no matter where you are, in my opinion.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

Thank you!! Is there another hotel on the beach that you all would suggest so the older teens can walk to? Like to a pier, or for my boys...looking for the main strip/boardwalk?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

There is no pier and no boardwalk. The hotels in the thick of the action are the ones SoBe4 mentioned. Take a look on Google earth the busy part is from Castillo Street heading south to where the A1a and Seabreeze Boulevard merge.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

As suewick stated, there is no boardwalk, however, A-1-A (the street adjacent to the beach) is filled with hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. similar to a boardwalk. If you are in fact looking more for a boardwalk, try Hollywood Beach (about 15-20 minutes south of Fort Lauderdale) which has a great boardwalk including bike rentals, etc.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

Thank you all for your suggestions...I just have one more question....would you recommend Hollywood Beach or Deerfield Beach area to stay? Which one would provide the most to do within walking distance and staying directly on the oceanfront. Again, thank you for your opinions.....

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

Personally, I am more partial to Hollywood Beach. I also think that there is more to do within walkin distance and alternatively, there is a small downtown nearby which has a great place to walk around as well as some great dining. Whats more, its close to Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor which is reknowned.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

The Broadwalk (no boards) in Hollywood is awesome for people watching, dining, touristy-shops, etc. I love the atmosphere of Hollywood Beach and the fact that you can rent bikes, etc., gives the teens some additional options.

If you plan to stay in Fort Lauderdale, I'd take a look at the Marriott Courtyard. All renovated and the hotel is just a block south of Las Olas Blvd. where the "action" pretty much starts.

Keep in mind that both in Hollywood and Fort Lauderale, you can rent wave runners, dive, wind surf, parasail, etc. Should be able to keep the teens busy!

And.....a trip to Jaxson's is a must!

Edited: 18 June 2010, 14:09
10. Re: HELP!! Vacation with older teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2010, 05:17