We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

This has gone froma "wave" of unsettled weather , to disorganizing yesterday and now hs organized again and may be named Tropical Storm Bonnie later today. It will have increased winds and rain , but not of the intensity of a "you know the word Sue doesn't allow said when she plans a trip here.."

The current forecast has it passing south of us mainly in the Keys and , sadly , headed to the Gulf of Mexico where it will go toward Louisiana.. such bad news.

But we in Fort lauderdale are one the very tip of the "cone of probability" the margin of error the forecasters give in predicting- and will probably get rain and wind of some degree overnight. Something to keep an eye on as the "cone" showing its path will get smaller and more exact as the evening progresses.

It's certainly something to be aware of and watch if you are travelling south tonight or tomorrow am- but hopefully it won't affect us badly.

This local report is already 2 hrs old- there should be another advisory posted on the same site very soon with updated information.

sun-sentinel.com/news/…6664985.story

Cleveland
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

Thanks so much forr your post! We're in Ft Lauderdale now and since we have no experience with tropical storms or the "H" word, we have no idea what to expect. I am bookmarking your site for further details. I am preparing for rain all day tomorrow (sawgrass outlet mall day perhaps?) and then I pray that Sat (our last day) will be back to somewhat normal so we can get some more beach time in!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

The most recent report at 11 pm has moved the "cone" a tiny bit north and if it were a perfect forecast , the storm would come over land between Miami and the Upper Keys during most of tomorrow ( Friday) with most of it gone by Friday midnight. But all the forecasters have commented that this is a disorganized storm that is showing some signs of falling apart ( it's been doing that on and off and then regrouping) and so it is really hard to predict what it will do overnight. As we will be on the north side of the storm - which is always where teh most effect is felt we will likely get lots of rain and winds perhaps in the 30 mph range witha few squalls mixed in beginning in the wee hours of Friday morning-if it goes as predicted- but my experience is they tend to come in as 'bands" of rain/thunderstorms rather than one long downpour.

My other experience is that these small erratic storms are hardest to predict- so it is also possible that by tomorrow when we all wake up it will have disorganized again or moved a bit in one direction or another - and little movements make big differences in what will happen .

I like www.justweather.com which is one site for our local news station - click on Miami and you should get some pretty good live updates. I'm not so sure I'd venture out to Sawgrass , which is very far west , till I had a better idea of what's coming during the day . There can be local flooding which makes driving for those not accustomed and who don't know alternate routes are available a bit unwise. Stay tuned to TV or internet- our local news outlets will do a good job of advising as the storm gets closer and those predicted tracks from various computer models come closer together- the cone will get smaller and much more specific in the next few hours. I don't personally plan to venture out tomorrow unless it is really necessary- you will see how heavy a tropical downpour can be - even if just for a short duration - and I wouldn't want to drive in one unless I had to.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

thanks again lulu! I appreciate you sending the website and I also checked the one you sent yesterday again this am. It's currently sunny here right now but I know it's coming so we'll just keep waiting. My husband booked some time for me in the spa instead of going to sawgrass (gotta love him)! Hopefully the rain will stop for a bit so we can get a night walk on the beach at least :)

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

Shamrock-How are you liking Lago Mar?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

We've had showers and blustery winds all morning and happen to be getting a slightly heavier band of rain as we speak. It does seem that Bonnie is moving a little faster than originally expected and is now forecast to be over Marathon in the middle Keys in the early afternoon. As we will be on the north side of her, we may actually get heavier rains and wind than the Keys do, but maybe it will get out of our way a bit sooner . It is not really good news for Louisiana and there is some worry it could intensify over warm Gulf waters and head to the oil spill area of the Gulf. I hope they are spared. What we're getting is yucky but not dangerous, but these sudden and heavy squalls are certainly enough to keep me inside.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

While there are a couple widely spaced of bands still needing to move through, it looks like the worst is past us - and it wasn't too bad.. things will be a bit unsettled for a day or so in the usual scenario, but I think other than a scattered squall here and there and some higher than usual wind, we'll make out ok- thoughts turn to the Gulf- some forecasters are saying it may actually weaken now , rather than intensify ,as they originally thought.

This Bonnie is keepig everyone guessing...

Cleveland
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

Thanks again lulu!

JD3- loving EVERY minute of Lago Mar! This is my 2nd time back and despite today's weather setback we are making the most of our stay. I have been meaning to send you a thank you email for all of your help!! I'll post a trip report when we arrive home (soo not looking forward to going back home lol).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

I am headed to ft lauderdale next month for surgery and I saw a weather warning and am thinking, is this just the start??? Hopefully nothing comes of it

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,702 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

It's impossible to guess more than a week in advance. Forecasters are beginning to wonder whether the season may be a bit less active than had been anticipated. As of now, there's a lot of dry air over the Atlantic, and a lot of dust from the Sahara has been blowing over the ocean, so much so that we have somewhat hazy skies. Dust, I think, inhibits storms.

10. Re: Weather Disturbance coming- don't panic Sue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 06:22