We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Marriott Beach looks awesome

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,865 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
The Marriott Beach looks awesome

I'm watching some fruit carving thing on the Travel Channel. But over $400/night for our dates. Boo hoo.

The biggest difference seems to be that they have extensive tropical grounds - looks more like a hotel in Hawaii.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

Yes, Harbor Beach Marriott and the Lago Mar near it are our two most resort like hotels with lovely and extensive grounds right along the Ocean . If it is not in your price range, you may at least be able to dine in one of their two restaurants- 3030 Ocean for high end seafood -I see coupons on restaurant.com regularly- or the newer SeaBlue which is more casual and also has a gorgeous view.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

The new restaurant at Harbor Beach is called Sea Level and the food is wonderful! I'm also impressed with the way their food is presented....very cool!

Sometimes you can find some specials on rates - what dates are you looking to come to Fort Lauderdale?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,865 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

No deals during our time - end of March/beginning of April. I can get the Westin Diplomat with Starwood points or a suite at the Hilton Beach with wraparound OV balcony for $285. Hard to pony up $400/night (and that's with AAA or AARP) when I have those other options. But I'll keep watching in case there are any specials between now and then.

I'm not sure I'd want to go to dinner there...might make me even sadder I didn't stay there :( Hey Lulu, maybe I'll hit a jackpot next trip to Vegas!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

See Abby and Warmwinds, I made a "Freudian slip" because Sea Blue is in Vegas , isn't it ( Maybe at MGM?) I guess I'm already thinking ahead to late August when we get to go back out there to try to win our fortune ..

At least I hd the Sea part right!

Warmwinds- I don't do the point thing, so I'm not sure. but am I right that you can cancel those reservations without penalty? In which case, I'd book one of the others while keeping an eye out for Harbor Beach specials - it may be way too early for anything for those dates...

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

Warmwinds- I took a tour of the 1BR suite with wrap around balcony at the Hilton, and it was GORGEOUS!! While the grounds at the Marriott are nicer, the rooms are just average hotel rooms-nice, but nothing special at all and on the small side. I think you will love that room at Hilton.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,865 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

My big problem is that I don't want to cross the street to go to the beach...am I making more of this than it is? We usually go to Hawaii and most of the resorts we stay are right on the beach, I hate the thought of running across the road like frogger...

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

Sorry to hijack your post Warmwinds, but I have to say hello to JD! I was thinking of her today .. JD , our 'ladies who lunch" went to Fin and Claw in Lighthouse Point and loved it- from the warm corn sticks served in the cast iron pans to the strudel. We're going out west to Pink Buddha for dim sum next!

Ok Warmwinds, I owe you now...back on topic...

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

Lulu, when I move down to FLL, I have to join your "Ladies Who Lunch" group:-))

Warmwinds: I think there is a good chance Marriott will have some deals as your time gets closer.Like right now, they have a special through Dec. 31st,a AAA rate with free parking for $255. So if you have your heart set on Marriott, just make a cancellable reservation somewhere, and keep your eye on the specials starting in January.

It's no big deal to cross the road at hilton, but it doesn't have the same atmosphere I think you are looking for, with ease from going from pool to the beach. At hilton, you have to go through the lobby and up the elevator to the pool on the 6th floor.

Lago Mar would also have the atmosphere I think you are looking for.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,865 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

What about the Westin Diplomat? That would be "free" for us, it's right on the beach, and it has the 2-level pool...I know the rooms are regular size and they don't have extensive grounds, but it's definitely one we're considering.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Marriott Beach looks awesome

The Diplomat is a beautiful hotel! There's not much within walking distance of that property but they do have 4 or 5 restaurants on property - either in the hotel or across the skywalk at Diplomat Landing. Aizia is terrific!! The "Dip" is awesome if you can get it for free...

And, about a mile north is the Hollywood Broadwalk - although some people are not enamored of it, I love its quaintness! Lots of touristy-type shops and one restaurant I really like - Sugar Reef. It's a great place to walk, ride a bike, roller skate, etc.

Downtown Hollywood is also home to some really nice dining options....