We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Suggestions please

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Suggestions please

Hi All,

We will have 1 and an half day before our cruise, first time to Fort Lauderdale, won't consider rent a car. Any suggestions regarding accommodation and must-see/dos?

By the way, we are 2 adults and 3 kids from the age 5 to 15.

Thank you

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

I would look at the hotels on SE17th Street area, which would put you close to the Port. The Embassy Suites might be the answer. It depends on when you are visting and how much you are prepared to pay. You really only have one day to do anything positive and I would suggest the water taxi, hop on and off wherever you please and see Fort Lauderdale from the intracostal and also take a look at the beach. Fort Lauderdale is much more than a cruise port.

Toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

Hi Suewick,

Thank you so much for the quick response. We will be there one week before Christmas, budget accommodation is around $150-200 per night. Will the water at that time be too cold to swim?

C.MOOD

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

you might want to check out the best western oceanside. It is close to the beach witha pool and not too far of a walk to the bars and marina. It is also a short cab ride to the port. Also, check with superior small lodgings for smaller motels that will fit in your price range. I'm afraid taht the larger hotels will charge much more for a night at that time of year.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

I do agree with Bob on this- that week is a very busy one both for cruisers and family vacation groups so hotels can get top rates and your choices in that price range will be very limited. Someplaces that fall in that range or even higher are not clean and well maintained, so you will have to be careful. In doing a quick check of Travelocity to get an idea, I agree that Best Western Oceanside would be a good choice - should be in the $150-200 range for most days and will include free breakfast and give your family great access to the beach. aaaand is directly across from aWater Taxi stop aswell. It would probably be a $10-15 taxi ride ( shared by all cab occupaants to the Port.

The Bahia Mar in about the same location but across the street from the beach shows rooms in that range , but no breakfast is included and they do have some not so well kept rooms. Others I saw are really bad choices like the very nasty Tropic Cay and Avalon Waterfront Inn and Bahia Cabana Days Inn - and several others like that which should be avoided at all costs and they show p as within your budget.

The area Sue mentioned, nearer the Port has a few places like the Renaissance and the Hilton Marina and Holiday In Convention center, but none of those are walking distance to the beach and the HI has no pool- . I really don't see any advantage to being that close to the Port pre cruise- the cost of getting to the Port from the beach is low an you only have to make that trip once. I think it would be easier to keep kids entertained on the beach than along 17th St.

I will suggest that you book something as soon as possible- your choices will only become more limited as time passes.

Toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

Thank you all of you for the valuable suggestions.

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

As for water temp in December, it will be chilly, but it can be done.

Toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

Thank you all of you above. Here comes more questions regarding Hotwire booking. First, the maxium kids in a room is 2. So to our family it needs 2 rooms. How can I book just 1 room? Second, for Fort Lauderdale Area hotel, it show $115 for a 3.5 star hotel and $109 for a 4 star one. Can anyone guess the name of these 2 hotels? I input date for Dec.16 to Dec.18.

Thanks again

C.Mood

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

Personally I would want to know where I was staying and not take the chance of ending up in a dump. There are plenty of so called "3 star" dumps in Fort Lauderdale. IMO star rating mean nothing and are more related to the so called facilities a hotel has but, that doesn't mean that they are good or clean. If you need a suite or an apartment to accommodate 4 people and want to be close to the beach take a look at the Doubletree Gallery One or one of the decent Mom and Pops on the beach. The Napoli Belmar which comprises of the Napoli Belmar, Birch Patio and Summerland Suites might be one to look at. I think Coachbob has stayed at the Birch Patio, he may be able to advise. We always stay at the Cocobelle they may be able to accommodate a party of 4.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

For a family of four, you really can't do Priceline or Hotwire because like you said, they only guarantee one bed. After you find out the name of the hotel you can call and request 2 beds, but you may not get it.

In order to figure out what hotel you may get on Hotwire, you have to write down all the amenities and the area and then go to the Ft.Lauderdale Hotwire section of www.betterbidding.com and match up the amenities.You can usually tell what hotel it is by doing this. I have used Hotwire once in FLL when I knew it would be the Doubletree Gallery One.

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Suggestions please

Also, I would suggest posting your questions on betterbidding.com. They will double check how you've matched up amenities and often help you narrow it down to one or two possible hotels. Let us know what you find out!