We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HIX Convention Center and water taxi

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
540 posts
341 reviews
Save Topic
HIX Convention Center and water taxi

We'll have two nights/one day in FLL prior to our cruise, and were thinking we might stay at the Holiday Inn Express @ the convention center, and forgo renting a car if it's within walking distance of the water taxi. It seems not to far on the map. Is this a reasonable plan? I would need to stay at either an InterContinental Hotel group hotel (Holiday Inn, Crown Plaza, etc.), SPG (Sheraton, etc.), or Hilton group (Doubletree, Hampton Inn, etc.) due to my status with these chains. A hotel shuttle would be nice. Otherwise, we'll have to rent a car anyways. Thanks.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HIX Convention Center and water taxi

You'll be fine without a car at HI Convention Center-very easy walk the short distance over to the water taxi and on Fri- Sunday the Sun Trolley aloso goes down 17th St and up to the beach ( it's free on Fridays). They have extended the Trolley to go all the way up the beach to the Galleria Mall on Sunrise, which is going to be great- though I have yet to try it since that was announced. You can flag down the Sun Trolley anywhere on it's route- it is hop on/ hop off and has no formal ;stops" except that it always takes a rest stop in front of the Publix in Harbor Shops on 17th St.

A taxi to HI from FLL Airport would probably be $15 or so shared by all in the taxi- and while HI offers some sort of shuttle at a per person rate into the Port, a taxi shared by two would be cheaper and would take you right to your ship without making other stops -for probably less than $10 total ( depends on which berth in our very large Port.) I don't think you should bother with a car- between Water Taxi, Sun Trolley and all the places within easy walking distance , you'll be fine I'd say.

Bon Voyage!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HIX Convention Center and water taxi

I also choose IHG, Hilton, and Marriott properties because of status/points programs. We have stayed on 17th St several times, and have never rented a car.

I have stayed at that HIX before, and yes, it is around $15 for a taxi from the airport, and the hotel is within walking distance of the water taxi. None of the hotels on 17th St offer shuttle service from the airport. Some offer it to the cruise port; however, a taxi is less unless it's complimentary.

When I stayed at that HIX it was a few years ago, and I did not care for the property. The room was kinda dingy with an awful view of the side of the convention center building. I think they provided complimentary shuttle service to the cruise port.

I have also stayed at the Embassy Suites and Hilton (when it was the Marriott) in that same area. My preference for our upcoming stay (also 2 nights pre-cruise) would have been the Hilton. However, there will be three of us, so we chose the ES.

3. Re: HIX Convention Center and water taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:16