We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sawgrass area - no car?

Leek, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
51 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Sawgrass area - no car?

We're looking to stay at the La Quinta over in Sunrise for 2 days pre-cruise. We were going to hire a car, but are wondering if we can manage without one.

We can take a shuttle from MIA and a taxi to Port Everglades. Between times we just want to visit Sawgrass Mills on one day and Sawgrass Recreation Park on another. So, questions -

Is there a bus that runs from the La Quinta to Sawgrass and what time does it run to so we can use the restaurants up that way in the evenings?

How best to get to the Recreation Park - taxi? How much might that run to?

There's 3 of us so I'm thinking it may work out cheaper doing it this way when all the car hire 'extras' are added on.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

Hmm- I'm not terribly familiar with that area as I just drive there and back- good news is that it looks to me like Bus 23 runs north along 136 St where I believe your motel is and into the Sawgrass Mall. Bad news is it looks to me like it is a daytime only bus route with last bus getting into the mall around 7 pm- nothing after that. here's the route map and schedule I found- which I think is accurate.

broward.org/BCT/…rt23web.pdf

If you google a map from your motel to Sawgrass Recreation , good estimate of the taxi cost one way woud be to take the mileage and multiply by $2.50/mile. That should be in the ball park. But I must say I think it would be pretty hard to get a taxi coming back from there as there won't be any waiting way out there ,I'd guess ,and no taxi driver should really want to travel that distance to pick up a fare- once again though just my guess.

We are all pretty married to our cars here and public transportation and taxi use are minimal for most locals here. Maybe someone who has done it will see your post.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

By the way, if ther are three of you, a shuttle from MIA would likely be more expensive than a shared taxi- but MAtt FL in the Miami forums could probably verify that for you- he really knows MIA transportation- shuttles charge per person while taxis allow you to split the fare- and no extra passenger charge. So, for more than 2 passengers , a taxi is pretty much always a better choice as far as I know..

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

If you add 3x shuttle fares, plus taxi fares, you might find a car rental to be as cheap or even cheaper for just a few days.

Prebook your car with full insurance in advance if you aren't from the USA

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

La Quinta is very close to the Sawgrass Mills Mall. I would say if you felt so inclined a walk basicially across the street (however mind the parking lots, intersection, etc.). You might want to contact the hotel and see if it has a "drop-off/pick-up" service to the mall. Worse case senario, it might be a few bucks for a taxi, really not a big deal. Not sure what you mean by the Sunrise Recreation Park. Can you be more specific. I live near there and am not familiar with that particular name.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

Venis -Sawgrass Recreation is the park with Airboat ride concession out on US27 south and west of Sunrise I think- address is Weston, but It's pretty rural- I'm guessing maybe it's 10 miles from the hotel. I know you know more about Sunrise than I do- I thought the La Quintas were both south on 136 st about 2 mles from the Mall. The mall is set so far back in from Sunrise Blvd. with the gigantic parking lots surrounding it , that maybe it is not as far away from things as it always seems to me. But you know Sunrise better and can probably advise- certainly a taxi back and forth from the Mall to Motel in the evening should be about $5 each way I'd guess, so not so bad.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

OK, Everglades National Park I believe you are talkin about. http://www.nps.gov/ever

Yes, you are correct, the mall isnt close, but to me thats not that far either. But a taxi is well worth it (especially if you intend to shop and eat... a lot harder to walk back with your hands and stomach full) :) . Again, check with the hotel as they might have a quick shuttle to and from the mall. Remember that the mall also has a movie theater in case youre interested and nearby is the Bank Atlantic Center. Depending on when you are in town you can really fill up your trip with a NHL game or perhaps concert. Just throwing that out there. I know your time is short.

Leek, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
51 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

Thanks folks.

By shuttle I was meaning something along along the lines of Super Shuttle/Top Shuttle and similar ilk, we had SAS last time, but enough said about that......, but I'll peruse the Miami forums for some tips too. A quick quote was coming in at $95 for the van from one of the companies.

$5 in the evening isn't too bad as you say, but my main concern is as you mention - getting back from the airboat ride. This is the Recreation Park I was referring to:

evergladestours.com/evergladestourshome.html

Booking car hire from the UK is looking towards $200 for the 2 and a bit days I'd need it when you add on LDW. Also I'm not keen on driving down to the port dropping the others off and then heading back out of the port to find the rental company, then getting another taxi back into the port again - seems like a lot of hassle on a day where I just want to sit on deck with a beer.

Decisions, decisions.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

No, please, I wish you would say more about SAS. It seems we have read scads of posts from "one post wonders" who seem to extoll the virtues of SAS like they are true miracle workers. Then we see some posts from folks who claim to have been badly serviced by the same firm. I'd be interested to hear about your experience - and so would others on our forum, I suspect. Many of us think the glowing reviews may not be completely on the up and up..

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

And, I may be wrong , but I really say again a taxi from MIA would be cheaper. I can only estimate, but by mileage x $2.50 ( 22 miles) it should cost about $55-plus I am sure , an additional "access fee" which taxis leaving the airports here usually have to pay- but I don't think it would be all that much- let's say $5-

And if you take a taxi as opposed to a shuttle, you won't have to wait for it to leave or make any stops along the way to discharge other passengers.- so much more convenient....

I will not claim to be an expert in that airport at all- but MattFL in the Miami Forum can probably tell you if I'm right that a shuttle will actually cost more than a taxi if it is for three people..

Edited: 05 November 2010, 21:22
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sawgrass area - no car?

Venis, they do mean Sawgrass Recreation Park

http://evergladestours.com/

Working on the assumption that La Quinta has a concierge desk, they might be able to fix you up with a tour from the hotel. I have seen tour buses there. It is well worth the visit IMO the airboat ride is much more exciting than the one at the Everglades Park which has a canopy over the top. If you decide to get there under your own "steam" pick up a Great Locations free guide book because it has a pretty good money off coupon in it. I think there might be one of a lesser value on the web site too.