We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recs for lounging and casual/take out food

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
recs for lounging and casual/take out food

Will be coming from Key Largo and arriving early am for breakfast. Want to spend a few hours on the beach before heading to the airport. Any recs for:

which beach (will be Dec, so sand not for swimming),

European bakery/pastry or crepes, or take out for the flight home would be appreciated.

Any places on the intercoastal that serve good cheap breakfast with a view?

Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,620 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recs for lounging and casual/take out food

You'll likely find plenty of swimmers in December- it's usually warm enough.

II can't think of any cheap breakfast places on the Intracoastal , but there are blocks of little places along the Broadwalk of Hollywood Beach- which is just south of Ft. Lauderdale Airport. And they all open on to the sand and you can enjoy the ocean and watch roller bladers etc going by. I had breakfast in one not long ago, but I have no idea of the name. Wait till our two DE's who know more about Hollywood than I do ( Audreybella and Abbysmemere ) get back on - I know Audrey is travelling this weekend.

There are both metered parking and parking garages all along that area. some of the places look pretty junky, but they might be good. I had heard great things about Sugar Reef, but it's a bit more pricey than many and our UK posters Sue and Chris were not pleased at all with it. My friends and I just parked and walked along looking at signs for specials in front till we saw someplace we decided to try. Maybe the others can guide you to a specific spot. I am pretty sure there is a crepe stand- I almost bought one myself but opted for ice cream instead ( dessert after breakfast works for me- stop laughing Jackiee!)

Edited: 26 November 2010, 01:01
Mentioned in this post
Hollywood Beach
Hollywood Beach
4,607 Reviews
Hollywood, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Hollywood
Hollywood
Broward County, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,620 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recs for lounging and casual/take out food

I should also mention that just a couple of blocks off that beach( an easy walk) is Le Tub , which became nationally famous when Oprah's friend Gayle King chose it as having the best burgers in the US. Its a very ramshackle place whose decor is old bathroom fixtures - and I don't think it is open for breakfast- but if you want a gigantic and very good burger before flying out , it would be a place to head. It's on the Intracoastal.

Mentioned in this post
Le Tub
Le Tub
1,971 Reviews
Hollywood, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,620 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recs for lounging and casual/take out food

http://www.theletub.com/menu.asp

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recs for lounging and casual/take out food

I remember seeing her on that show. Thanks for the tip. Is that a decent beach to be staying at? Is there a nicer one (we'll have a car). We like quiet, family type not loud and party type.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recs for lounging and casual/take out food

You could just go to Ft. Lauderdale beach. There is a public beach parking lot, and then you could walk to a breakfast place. Bahia Cabana is a short walk and is on the Intracoastal. You can sit outside there, and it is very casual. Then just walk back to the beach for a few hours.It's not far from the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale Beach
Fort Lauderdale Beach
7,958 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bahia Cabana Beach Resort
Bahia Cabana Beach Resort
312 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
6. Re: recs for lounging and casual/take out food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2011, 05:17