We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do we need a car ”

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
791 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
do we need a car ”

10 January 2011, 22:45

Do we need a car for a 5 night stay in Fort Lauderdale, we are thinking of booking the Hilton Beach Resort and if we don't need car to do all the touristy things we would rather not. Are there restaurants and bars close to this hotel

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do we need a car ”

No, you don't need a car unless you want to go to the Everglades or Miami. It depends on what you class as touristy things. We always rent a car for convenience but we stay at a motel which doesn't charge for parking. I'm guessing that the Hilton levies a charge of around $30 a day parking.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
224 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do we need a car ”

I'm just researching my first trip to FLL, and appears a car won't be necessary, at least until I want to travel out of town at some point. The bus system seems really good (including using the bus from the airport to hotels), and the water taxi system adds another dimension. Then there's Tri-Rail, which links the airports (plus several other stops) from MIA to FLL to West Palm Beach.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do we need a car ”

Which hotel were you planning to reach by bus from FLL? I ask because only one bus ( Route 1) goes from FLL and it doesn't come very close to most of our hotels- you might be able to get to some hotels by transferring along the way, but that might mean waiting for some time at a bus stop with any belongings you might have.. not necessarily a good plan , depending on where and what time of day ( night). There would also likely still be some walking involved even with that plan. There are for instance only a handful of bus stops spaced along the whole of the beach front area.

There is a shared shuttle ride from FLL called GO Van ( www.floridalimo.com) which , while not as inexpensive asa bus, is cheaper than a taxi for a party of 1 0r 2( the shuttle charges are per person). and it will take you right to the door of your hotel.

Just want to be sure the 'bus from the airport " will really be a good choice for you- it really isn't for many hotels here.

I do agree that once you are on the beach , you can usually get around without a car for most daily needs- with bus, water taxi or sun trolley ( which runs from Fri- Mon only). There may be a few times when a taxi would be needed to fill a gap- but with car rental and parking prices, it would probably still be the most economical plan to forego a car. I just wanted to add that caution about the FLL Broward Transit bus service to be sure you check the connections thoroughly.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
224 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do we need a car ”

Haven't decided on a hotel yet, but I'm looking at that little corner of the map where the Cocobelle and all the old-school motels are situated, just west of the A1A. Easy transfer #1 to #11. (I do this in every city from Honolulu to Paris to Hong Kong. I travel with only a daypack and I wait for the day (night) someone tries to take it away from me).

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do we need a car ”

Our UK poster Sue, always stays at Cocobelle on her frequent trips here and is very familiar with the various small hotels in that area- so if you have an questions I see she is posting today.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do we need a car ”

Hi Everyone! I got around without a car. I would take buses back and forth, the system is truly great and will virtually take you anywhere in FLL and surrounding areas. I remember I took about three buses from my Best Western to Sawgrass Mills mall. It was a 2-hour ride to get there but it was worth the trip. However, in all honesty, I would not do it again. This is from a tourist point of view. If you need to transfer, the FLL bus terminal is not a safe place to be. I actually felt a need for praying while I was there (and I never pray). Besides, bus schedules can be tough when transferring. A bus will leave you at the terminal at 8:05 and the next bus you need to transfer to may not leave at 8:55, cause the previous one had left at 8:03! That kept happening to me every time.

Although I do not recommend it, if you do not have a license, you can still do the bus thing I as did, but study your bus numbers and you know, be careful. Inside the bus, you can come across the most "interesting" people in all Florida.

In fact, my last trip to Florida and my whole "public transportation" experience was what ultimately encouraged me to finally get a driver's license in my home country (which I did!)

If you do have a license, do not even think about it and rent a car as soon as you leave the baggage claim area. You'll be glad you did.

That said, Fort Lauderdale is such a beautiful place. The ideal vacation spot for me. I'd come back in a heartbeat and with a vengeance! (i.e., rental car!)

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
151 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do we need a car ”

The renting a car thing simply depends on what you want to do. If you are staying anywhere on A-1-A and simply want to have a beach/pool vacation then I would not rent one. Take a cab the once or twice you go somewhere..... If you desire to go for an evening on Las Olas or drive anywhere that is say longer than 10-15 minutes away several times during your stay, then I would say rent one. I have a car available to me when I visit (which is frequent) and there are times the car never gets out and there are times I put on plenty of miles......Like my home area of SE Michigan public transportation is not something I would rely on in South Florida. If you can afford cabs by all means go for it....if not, and if you are going to "travel" while there rent a car.

8. Re: do we need a car ”

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 13:07
Edited: 16 February 2011, 13:07
9. Re: do we need a car ”

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 13:07
10. Re: do we need a car ”

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 18 February 2012, 05:21