We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

I'm planning to visit FLL for a long weekend and was interested in the Westin beachfront but then the Double tree is also available. There's only a $20 difference in price (Westin more expensive), but the Doubletree has free internet. The Westin is also closer to the beach but the Doubletree is a waterway taxi line. The suites also look nice at the Doubletree. I'm not sure about the beach chair/umbrella situation at the Doubletree. They seem to have those at the Westin. Any thoughts on which would be better? Thanks!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

Difficult one, either or are nice. Depends on how important being close to the beach is to you. The Doubletree is around a 5/10 minute walk to the beach, a bit longer if the bridge over the intracoastal goes up. I don't thiink the Westin provides free chairs on the each and I know the Doubletree doesn't. The pool area at the Doubletree is slighly nicer IMO and has a small fake beach, if you look at my review of the Doubletree I think there are photos of it posted.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

As Sue said, this is a difficult one! Both properties are really nice but the difference is that you'll have a suite at GalleryOne and a room at the Westin.

One other thing, the water taxi stops at GalleryOne but also, the Galleria Mall is one block away and I'm not mentioning this for the shopping but because of the great restaurants there - Blue Martini for drinks and appetizers, Trulucks for seafood, Capital Grille, Seasons 52 (my personal favorite,) PF Changs, and a "food court" that's nicer than ones found in most malls.

Edited: 02 April 2011, 13:58
JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

Also, Westin has "stand out only" balconies, where as Gallery One has sit out balconies.I'm pretty sure you have to rent the chairs on the beach in front of the Westin, since it is a public beach. If you walk to the beach from the Doubletree, you will find chairs/cabanas for rent as well.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,338 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

Our frequent poster Coach Bob stayed at the Westin at one time and if I recall, he asked at he desk and they had some sort of beach chair loan program or discount that one desk clerk had told him of but another didn't seem to know they had. let's see if he responds- he often looks at posts mentioning the Westin- he had mixed feelings about his stay there if I recall- didn't like the pool.

There is a concession for chairs on Ft. Lauderdale beach that has a monopoly ( thanks to their contract with the city) and many find their beach chair prices outrageous , especially for multiple days. If you will need one more than one day and your hotel has no 'loaners" many prefer to purchase one form the CVS Drugs- there is one right across from the Doubletree and near the Westin you could walk down to Beach Place location - I think the purchase price for chairs and umbrellas would be less than one days rental.. and of course you can just leave it behind when you go.

I find it hard to advise between your two hotel finalists as well- both have their pluses. maybe it depends how much time you hope to spend actually on the beach- if that is the major part of your weekend the Westin is just across the street , but the Doubletree has a more spacious room (suite) and the balconies ( at least in some- not sure if they all do... ) While there is a water taxi stop at Doubletree , there is one also within a reasonable walk of the Westin.

Are you travelling alone or with others and what is your age ? That may help me decide...

Edited: 02 April 2011, 16:34
Cape Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
251 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

I just spent one night at the Doubletree and it was very nice. I was prepared to not care for the pool area as I thought it would be shady but it wasn't in the morning or the late afternoon. Rooms were very nice and the price was excellent for a suite. Also walking to the Mall area was a plus. Have not stayed at the Westin so can't compare. Have a good time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

Thanks for all your replies! I am traveling solo. Although a 10 min walk to the beach isn't the end of the world, it would be nicer to be as close to the beach as possible (Westin). But I like that Double tree has suites, is close to the mall and is on the water expressway. Hmmm, this is shaping up to be a difficult decision. I just wasn't impressed with the images I saw of the Westin. It's good to know that with both hotels I'll be renting or buying a beach chair. Hmmm, not sure what to do!!!

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

Do you want to swim in the ocean or are you content to just suntan on the beach? If it's just to be on the beach, go to Gallery One. They have lounges on their "beach" which is on the Intracoastal (no, you cannot swim in the Intracoastal!) and the pool, and the Galleria (with all the great restaurants there), and a suite. Great value!

8. Re: Gallery One Doubletree or Westin beachfront hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 07:15