We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel directly on beach not across street

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel directly on beach not across street

Planning on coming memorial day weekend. Booked Marriott but wondering if there is a better choice, Traveling with our two daughters 23 and 18.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel directly on beach not across street

Marriott Harbor Beach is a great choice.The property,pools and beach are really nice.It is just an average sized room, however, so if you will all be in the same room, it will be a little cramped.I think it is the best choice with kids that age though.You are in walking distance to restaurants and the water taxi.

Lago Mar would be another choice, where you could be directly on the beach, and the pools are nice as well. You can get a 1 BR suite here with 2 beds in the BR, a pullout in the living room , and a kitchenette.It's not far from Marriott, but more secluded, so it is good to have a car(parking free).I think 18-23 y.o would like the marriott better though.

boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel directly on beach not across street

Thanks for your response. Was also looking at Hilton which is across the street from the beach. Not sure if it would be hassle to rent chairs during holiday weekend. However, closer to shops etc. Your input was very helpful. I did not want to make a bad choice. Thanks again.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel directly on beach not across street

I've stayed at Hilton as well, and it is no big deal to cross the street.I'm not sure how hard it would be to rent chairs on a holiday weekend, but I do know the pool is VERY crowded, with chairs lined up right next to each other, AND you have to get out there early to get a chair. There was a lot of problems with people saving chairs with their stuff, and no one using them for hours.

I like the Hilton a lot, especially the 1 BR suite, but the grounds are no where as nice as the Marriott or Lago Mar. Both Marriott and Hilton charge extra for internet(free in the lobby),and both charge for parking as well.

I would stick with Marriott if you can tolerate all being in a regular sized room.

boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel directly on beach not across street

Thanks for all the great imput. We rented two rooms at Marriott so being in one room is not an issue. It is a bit more expensive. Should I also look into Largo?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel directly on beach not across street

Another option is the Pelican Beach Resort. It is directly on the sand just north of the public beach.

http://www.pelicanbeach.com/

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel directly on beach not across street

As much as I love Lago Mar,I'd stick with Marriott if I were you, since it is a more "happening"place for an 18 and 23 yr. old. Parking is extra if you have a car,somewhere around $25/nt.

If you want to save money Lago Mar might work for you though. They also have some 2 BR suites.

Pelican Is OK, I've stayed there as well, but it is further North, so a car is necessary. The beach is not as nice there , the pool is smallish, and there are no tropical grounds like at Marriott or Lago.Parking is valet only, at about $25/nt as well I think.

Edited: 07 May 2011, 18:46
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel directly on beach not across street

I think the Pelican is a nice hotel but it's too far away from everything for my taste. The Marriott is a much better option.

8. Re: Hotel directly on beach not across street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 21:17