We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquor store to buy some wine?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Liquor store to buy some wine?

I will be staying at the Residence Inn prior to a cruise and would like to buy some wine to take on board with us. Is there a liquor store near the port or near the Residence Inn?

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

Which Residence Inn ? I think there are 3 in the area

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

There is a very good liquor store just west of the north Port entrance the Port - Total Wine in the same Harbor Shops center where Publix is located behind the Embassy Suites on 17th ST. It's a wine Superstore ! be aware though that you cannot buy beer, wine , or liquor by the bottle on Sunday mornings, so if you plan to buy on a Sunday enroute to a ship, it will have to be after noontime,

I'm puzzled by which Resuidence Inn as well- I know of four in the general area-Plantation, Pompano Beach, Weston and Miramar- none of which are very close to the Port- I suppose Pompano Beach might be closest, but probably a $40-50 taxi ride away.. or maybe Plantation which is out west .. If that is the one , you'd probably go in the south port entrance- it's just puzzling- so give us an address- or at least a city. Hopefully you have a car

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

I did check mileage from those two Residence Inns( if either of those is the right one). Plantation would actually be closer- 12 miles or about $30 by taxi , while The Pompano location is 14 miles or a $35 taxi ride or so. . I'm not really sure which route you would take fron Plantation, but if that tehe one one , maybe Shuttlevan man can suggest whether Broward Blvd or I-595 is what is usually used to come east from that area of Plantation..

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

I really enjoy shopping at Total Wines - I'm like a kid in a candy store:^) If you're coming from Plantation 595 is the fastest way to the port - but if you want to go to Total Wines , I would go down Broward Blvd to US 1 south to 17th st to the Harbor Shops I guess you can map it out on Google

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

That was exactly my quandry -595 or the stop and go traffic on Broward.

Will be interesting to find out which Residence Inn the OP is really talking about...

We just had the loveliest Geyser Peak Cabernet with Sunday dinner-- Total Wine- love the place! But I guess there would likely be some grocery stores enroute as well.. A small number of drugstores here have a small wine selection too, but only selected ones it seems.

Also important to be sure your cruise line permits you to bring wine on board. I know Royal Carribean confiscates it and returns it the last night. NCL would allow it only if you paid a high corkage fee , even for wine you wanted to consume in your cabin. only A few are much more reasonable- but the policy should be in your cruise documents somewhere. I saw so much liquor piled up at the ship's entrance on our last cruise. It's a shame to buy it and have it taken away.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

I would do 595 either way as I hate the stop and go traffic! Love Total Wine - and the prices just cannot be beat!! Lowest anywhere..

Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

Opps, I am sorry. I am staying at the Fairfield Inn on Griffin Road, Dania Beach. I always get the Fairfield Inn and the Residence Inn mixed up. They are both Marriott owned and very similar hotel type. The website states that it is near the port. Is it walking distance to the wine shops? We will not have a car but were thinking about taking a Taxi to the port if needed.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

You can't walk to or into the Port from anywhere.-it's one of the largest ports in the world and has a security gate at the beginning of a long access road that is not walkable. Fairfield may offer a shuttle as they are right around the corner from the Port- I jknow thay have an airport shuttle , not sure about to the Port, but a taxi in shold be cheap and they may be able to match you with someone else to share it- but I'm betting $10-15 at most ,shaerd by thetaxi occpants.

That's not a great spot to go wine shopping from ( but certainly nice in every other respect). ,as best I recall- I think the eonly spots may be a Publix much further west on Griffin ( not walkable to me) or possibly a drugstore like Walgreens - but not all drugstores have wine .. I will do a quick Google search and see what comes up- but you likely have to take a short taxi ride to do that as well.. you will be so far south that you won't be going up to 17th St where Total Wine is to get in to the Port- you'll be using the south entrance to the Port instead and I can't think of any nearby liquor stores at that end, but I'll play around and see and repost.

Edited: 10 October 2011, 17:06
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

Hmm. not finding great news. One 'liquor store " is mentioned on Google, but i am pretty sure it is actually a wholesale Liquor distributor( Sunshine on Tiger Tail ,which is in a nearby warehouse district). Nothing else that is not at least 3 miles away .. except the Publix grocery , which does generally have a great selection of wines- they have a store on your same Rd( Griffin) but it is 1.5 miles west of your hotel and on the opposite side of the street.. not sure how walkable you would feel that is. I checked both Walgreens and CVS, the two local drug chains , but their closest stores are 2.5 and 3.0 miles away... so unless someone comes up with something better , I think it's Publix or nothing. A taxi driver who is taking you to the Port might be able to take you to some other place enroute and charge you a waiting fee while you run in, but I can't see or think of anyplace else where that might be... let's see if anyone has a better thought- Maybe Shuttlevanman will be riding down Griffin toward the Port area soon and will spot something .

Once again, check your cruise documents to be sure you aren't going to this effort only to have the wine taken away by the cruise line at embarkation- or if you mention which cruise line I can find out their rules.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liquor store to buy some wine?

Thanks Lulutoo,

We are cruising on Princess and I think I am able to bring on one bottle per person. I think I can walk 1.5 miles okay. It is flat there right? I like walking, I walk a lot here in CA for exercise. The only problem is if the weather is good it will be okay but if it is raining or really hot. We are having 80 degree weather here now but it is not very humid. Us California folks are babies when it comes to humidity. (At least I am). Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale