We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Dinner recommendations

UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Dinner recommendations

Hi - we'll be in FLL from 21st to 26th Dec. Now that Thanksgiving is over can anyone recommend good places that will be open for a meal on Christmas Day? Either a traditional Christmas meal or their normal menu, we're flexible.

Also any with online menus? So far I've found Pelican Grand and Embassy Suites menus online. We're staying in a condo near Las Olas so would prefer not to drive.

thanks!

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

One of the first ways to see who's open is to look at opentable.com and select 12/25 and the time that you would like. It will show you who is listed and their menus, etc.....of course, not all restaurants subscribe to opentable.

Opentable also has reviews of each restaurant by subscribers and I find these reviews to be much more reliable than other review websites

We will be there at the same time (yippee) and are going to Grill 66 for their great steaks on Christmas.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,139 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

If past history is any indication, most of the Christmas Day dining opportunities will be in hote lconnected dining rooms like the ones listed in the above posts. Free standing restaurants here generally are open Christmas Eve, but closed Christmas Day so that staff can have the day with family.. Open Table is a good way to start your serach, but you may find many hotel dining opportunities are not listed there.

Many hotels do a brunch/buffet style service on Christmas day. but Grille 66 I suspect does serve plated entrees and is a lovely choice for a seated meal - Pelican and Embassy have buffets I think..as will many of the other hotels.

Seattle
Level Contributor
27 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

I will be there as well during this time period and booked my xmas reservation at Shooters Cafe. Fun place and not too expensive! I believe it is $29.95 per person. It is also a stop for the water taxi which is convenient.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

Thanks, I had already seen recommendations for Shooters but no Christmas menu up yet. Will check out Open Table and Grill 66 as well.

One question about the brunches (might be a stupid one!) - are they like a buffet, serve yourself option - vegas style? We've done buffets in Vegas but although its nice to try bits of everything we don't find them to be very relaxing really. Suppose Vegas buffets serve a huge number of customers whereas these will be totally different?

thanks

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

Shooters is fine for a drink but it would get a big no for a Christmas dinner IMO. Obviously just my opinion and others may differ. I'm not in to fine dining but my experiences of eating at Shooters have been like I may as well have well thrown my money in to the intracoastal. The location is good though. If that is the location you want check out the Chart House, you'll pay way more but the food is excellent (if it's open on Christmas Day of course).

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,139 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

Yes, many of the hotels have brunches which are buffet style service on Christmas, but I would say not exactly the Vegas type- fewer choices for one thing and I don't think nearly as frantic. I think they do it to give as many employees the day off as possible. And most would require reservations , so not the long lines to get in and more control over the size of the gathering. Haven't looked to see if any menus are posted yet, but I'll post a link to one or more so you can get an idea what is served.

I think the food at Shooters is usually pretty mediocre in quality, but some people would enjoy the opportunity to go somewhere by boat and sit outside along the water. I'd have to have something a little higher in quality myself, but I am sure it has it's fans, especially among those from colder climates who would love to have dinner outside. I had my first Thanksgiving here sitting at a picnic table in shorts and couldn't wait to send the photos to my freezing family.

I don't think Chart House is open on Christmas Day, but i will check as I live very close by.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,139 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

here's a link to te posted Christmas menu for Peliucan Grande- a brunch served buffet style ( $57) and I'd say pretty typical in offerings and price for what you'll find in most hotels

pelicanbeach.com/bpdocuments/CHRISTMASDAY_ME…

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

We have been Ft. laudeirdale for past 5 years over Christmas. Marriott has 2 sittings. it was full so you need a reservation. It was expensive for kids but lots of choices. Excellent buffet with al the turkey and trimmings including Santa.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

Marriott Habour Beach hotel is where we have spent the last five Christmas dinners. There are two sittings and you need a reservation as it is usually full.

It was a great buffet with lots of variety but it was expensive especially kids. Highly rocommend with tip cost approx. $260 so don't go unless your hungry. Santa and candy canes are free.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
211 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Dinner recommendations

I agree with Lulu, Shooters is nice for drinks, but the food and service are... hmm... awful I suppose is the word I'm looking for.