We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
261 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

Hi All,

We need a hotel pre-post cruise for 1 night on each end. We arrive super early AM from SFO so will have a full day/night and morning before the cruise in FLL and similar post cruise since we are leaving late. We are traveling with our 4 yo very well traveled daughter who loves nice hotels, restaurants, and pools/beaches just like mom and dad :-).

I'm willing to spend $350 per night for the right hotel. We won't be renting a car so it would be great to be walking distance to shops/boutiques, restaurants, and the beach.

We've never been there but I hear las olas is nice, and taking water taxis is also a fun thing to do.

which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W? Any others I'm leaving out? It must be very clean/updated, have a heated pool, room/pool service, and great staff service.

Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,354 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

The pool at B Ocean is very small and not very well thought of for ambiance, so I'd eliminate that one for sure. I think I'd choose Atlantic of those you listed- Lago Mar is a lovely place , but some find it more "old fashioned" in decor- more of a beach house Tommy Bahama feel than "updated". The staff at the W does not always get high marks for customer service- if you read the reviews, it sounds like they need to get over themselves in many instances- and that pool,can be noisy and crowded especially on weekends when the trendy set arrives.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,119 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

Now for me, I like nice hotels but love a beach house feel lol.

I don't like the modern slick look as I feel i 'mess' up the vibe by using one of the pool loungers with all my cr*p lol.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

I would eliminate B Ocean for sure(small pool, no balconies). I would also choose the Hilton over the W(it is right next door). The Hilton has a nice pool, is modern, and the Jr. and 1 BR suites are roomy and have a full kitchen.

Personally I like Lago Mar the best for families, but I also like the "beachy" feel.It's directly on the beach, has a lagoon pool for kids, mini golf,and a small playground on the sand. You can't walk to anything though, so for your short stay I would probably pick the Hilton. You can walk to the water taxi . The Atlantic's pool isn't as nice, and I just don't like the ambiance at the W (lots of concrete walls and very dark).

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

The Atlantic is just beautiful. It has a "pamper me" feel to it - just luxury! The pool area is small, but there's a huge ocean across the street LOL ... The Atlantic's walkable to restaurants, bars, etc., and there's a water taxi stop not far from the hotel as well. However, a taxi ride to Las Olas is only about $10 or so...

The W is very trendy, and as was previously pointed out, "Wet" (the pool) can be very crowded and very noisy - especially on weekends. The rooms are nice-modern, sleek, but don't have a "welcome" feel IMO. Perhaps that's because I like warm and comforting as opposed to modern/sleek.

Lago Mar is great because of all the reasons Jody pointed out. It's just far to walk to anything.

I like B Ocean a lot, but being on the very north end of the beach, you may find it to be too far from the "action".

The Atlantic is my call..

Edited: 11 January 2012, 14:10
Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

Though I love the W, I would take that out of the equation. It is very trendy and young, but the part you might not like (which I have heard many families complain about) is the shower. The shower is arranged in a way to be modern/sexy and it basically all glass, close to the middle of the room. Therefore, there isnt much privacy which might be OK for couples, but not ones with young children, if you know what I mean. To each their own, but that is usually the complaint I hear from families staying there... just an fyi.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,354 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

I love the beachy, overstuffed, comfy feel of Lago Mar too- that's how I like my beach hotels to be- but if someone doesn't and wants someplace"'updated" I am not sure Lago Mar is the best fit. I agree that Hilton would be good and Marriott Harbor Beach too.

Abby- have you ever been over to see the B Ocean pool? it's tiny and stuck in the back of the hotel- it's about the worst I've seen of any hotel - except possibly Il Lugano. Maybe they thought their pool wouldn't matter as it us right across from the beach, but it is so disappointing- sort of seems a "we couldn't think of anywhere else it would fit, so we put it here..."/ architects's mistake- of course also because they didn't want to invest big bucks in changing the location from the one the sad old Holiday Inn left behind when it closed.Anyway, for anyone wanting a pool, forget the B Ocean...

Niles, Illinois
Level Contributor
102 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

I stayed at the Lago Mar and loved it. The pool(s) and beach area is outstanding. I loved the room and the entire resort. I travelled with my sister and 3 kids 9, 15, & 17, Just beautiful.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
261 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

Does the lago mar smell old and musty or is the decor just not modern and sleek?

How much does it cost to take a taxi from Lago Mar to Las Olas Bl?

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

I've never smelled any musty odor at Lago Mar.I was last there just last month.

You can get a good idea of the decor by looking on their website, and also on the T/A reviews of Lago Mar(click on candid traveler photos).

I'm guessing $10-$15 cab ride to Las Olas.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,354 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which hotel? Lago Mar, Atlantic, B Ocean or W?

I agree with JD- it's 4 miles from Lago Mar to Mangos on :Las Olas Blvd- which will put you in the middle of everything- so miles x$ 2.50 is a good taxi fare estimator.