We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
Nightlife

Hi just wondering what the nightlife and bar scene is like, we've got a chance of a timeshare swap at beach place marriott and was curious to what the area is like.

Thanks in advance

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife

Youll be right on the beach, basically. There are plenty of little, local restaurants all along the "strip" there. Elbo Room is a local bar that is a must see. Nothing extraordinary about it, but its one of the orginal bars down here. If you want to go upscale there are Shula's Steakhouse, Seasons 52, etc. in the immediate area. There is also a W hotel with Whiskey Bar and a closeby Blue Martini. Plenty of stuff to do within walking distance or a short cab ride.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
255 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife

hop in a cab and go to himmarshee village on the weekend, much better than the beach

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife

I agree that the Himmarshee area is great and if you get hungry, Himmarshee Restaurant is awesome. You can also get some great sandwiches at Tarpon Bend. In the same area is Revolution/America's Backyard. Check out the

Green room"!

If you want local flavor, you must go to the Elbo Room. It's been in the same location since before "Where the Boys Are" was filmed here almost 51 years ago. There's also Exit 66 and a bunch of other bars along the strip as well.

Blue Martini at the Galleria Mall has a great happy hour and is typically crowded. The "hot spot" these days is Whiskey Blue at the W. It's a place to see and be seen.

If you head to Las Olas, YOLO is a must stop.

It depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend...

Edited: 26 January 2012, 00:27
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,878 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife

Abby- I think I am correct ( sadly) that your awesome Himmarshee restaurant ( same owners ) has rebranded as PL8- more of a tapas place with mixed reviews so far- not at all like the old place.

www.insidefortlauderdale.com/…

I was very surprised it happened as I always thought Himmarshee was doing well.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife

Lulu, you are correct. Himmarshee is now PL8. From reviews and several friends, the food is not as good as before. Side Bar, next door, is still there though.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of Himmarshee Village (or "Downtown" as its referred to here). There are a few bars/clubs yes, but its a more casual atmosphere (i.e. patrons can be in flip-flops and shorts), for the most part. Additionally, only the clubs/bars have age restrictions so there can be a lot of minors walking around just "hanging out."

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife

My first question before I suggested anywhere would be (without being rude) how old are you?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,878 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife

I agree with both Venis and Sue in that we had occasion to be walking through the Himmarshee area on a recent Friday night and it was a very young, loud and already bombed at an early hour crowd, so certainly not for everyone and the age of the nightlife seeker would be very relevant .Certainly not a classy area at night from our observation - though there are some nice restaurants Lots of wandering beer drinkers in T shirts and flip flops.

Maybe the OP should give us an age range before we go further. There are nightspots along the beach , even within the Beachplace complex itself that probably would work as there are trendy expensive places at some high end hotels nearby and casual beach bar places as well right within a walk.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,878 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife

Venis- how long have you had that new avatar- just noticed it!!? I'm waiting for the back story on that shot....

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife

Hi my wife and I are both in our 30s but like a bit of a mix, mainly somewhere where you can sit and have a few drinks and a nice restaurant,

Thanks for all the rellies

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightlife

Lulutoo, been a good while now. Its actually from a pretty funny scene in the movie "Grown Ups" with Adam Sandler. The car in the background is an MG, similar to the one I own. Wish I had a story more exhilarating than that! :)

Glc1102, my gf and I are both pretty close to your ages, and I would suggest you stick to the beach area and Las Olas, as previously noted. Himmarshee, is just "eh." I think you would find the lil restaurants, bars, lounges, tapas/cheese bars along Las Olas a bit more classy. The beach is another great area because you can be casual or dress it up, too.

YOLO, Rocco's Tacos, Vibe, Cheese Culture are all some great places to try on Las Olas (plenty others as well).

Elbo Room, Whiskey Blue, Shulas On The Beach, Lu Lu's Bait Shack are some notables along the beach.

Just off of the beach by the Galleria Mall you will find Blue Martini, Trulucks Parrot Lounge and Shooters, to name a few.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale